From: djs@actnyc.UUCP (Dave Seward)
Subject: Re: optimizating compilers (VMS ADA)
Date: 28 Jan 88 23:49:14 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <8801201714.AA15107@ajpo.sei.cmu.edu> TENE@TECHMAX.BITNET writes:

>>Noam Tene appears to be claiming that an optimizing compiler is free to
>>change the meaning of a program in order to achieve faster execution.
>>This is a dangerous attitude.
>
>I agree. It is dangerous and as you pointed out can be taken to an
>extreme. However I claim that ANY optimization that goes beyond "Good
>code" generation must have such freedoms and could introduce these
>dangers.

As an Ada compiler developer, I am of course very interested in this issue.
I personally side with Mr Cohen on this issue, but I must produce a product
that satisfys a marketplace, *as well as being validated*. I would, therefore
appreciate feedback (e-mail) from as wide an audience as possible, indicating
opinions about this issue. I can summarize the responses for this group, if
desired. Thanks, in advance...

Dave Seward
uunet!actnyc!djs