From: kenner@lab.ultra.nyu.edu (Richard Kenner)
Subject: Re: Ada for MacOS/BeOS
Date: 1997/12/13
Date: 1997-12-13T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <dewar.881885975@merv> dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar) writes:
>I don't know what GNU'ed means, most likely it is a misprint for GPL'ed.
>GNU is the name of an operating system, and even in the most generous
>interpretation of the allowance of verbizing in English, I cannot see
>how GNU can be a verb.

At the risk of being even more pedantic, it's actually worse than that.
As a noun, GNU can refer to either an operating or a *project*.  The
resulting confusion can be so great that I avoid using GNU as a noun
at all, and use it just as an adjective to qualify what it is that
I'm talking about and encourage everybody else to do likewise.