From: pattis@cs.cmu.edu (Richard Pattis)
Subject: Re: Do college AP tests require C++ knowledge?
Date: 1997/12/10
Date: 1997-12-10T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

>Of course it's a problem, but that's irrelevant.  ETS heard numerous
>arguments against using C++ for the AP test, but ignored every one of
>'em.  If I recall correctly, C++ will be used for the AP tests
>starting next year.

While ETS set policy in the early 80s (Pascal vs BASIC was the fight),
it is following policy in the 90s. They asked a boat-load of schools
what language they thought they would be using in CS-1, and C++ came up
tops. ETS has no altruistic motives: it sells its exams as a cost effective
way for students to get college credit. If most the schools do not
accept a course in Pascal (or Ada, or whatever) then students don't take
the exam and ETS doesn't make money.

>Heck, it would have been far wiser for ETS to stick with their Pascal
>version.  ost high schools are struggling with getting "newer"
>computers, and many are still saddled with "old" Apple IIs (or IBM PCs
>with 386SX or 286 CPUs).  None of the languages you listed (Ada95,
>Eiffel, or Java) are very friendly to the "old" architectures. Then
>again, just try to find an ISO-compliant C++ compiler for an Apple II
>next year :-)

Many instructors like the fact that C++ doesn't run Apple IIs: they can
use this fact to argue with administrators to get additional funds to
enhance their labs.

>In the end, it will be noted that ETS gave in to enormous "peer
>pressure".  I have no doubt they'll switch to Java within five years
>(so they can switch to more economical web-based testing).

Note that all this occured before Java came on the scene. I could argue
that no AP exam should be based on technology, and programming languages
are technologies -rapidly changing ones at that. If colleges switch to
Java in mass, then the ETS will follow.

Rich Pattis

-When teaching a rapidly changing technology, perspective is much more
 important than content.