* Re: Help CPU time
@ 1997-12-05  0:00 ` bklungle
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: bklungle @ 1997-12-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

If you are running on most any Unix, use the "time" command.

$time mycommand

cheers...bob

FKong wrote in message <3488ee98.0@news.greennet.net>...
>I have an assignment to compare the efficiency of different sort methods.
>Someone please tell me how to get cpu time.

* Re: Help CPU time
@ 1997-12-05  0:00 ` bklungle
From: bklungle @ 1997-12-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

If you are running on most any Unix, you can use the "time" command.

$time mycommand

cheers...bob

FKong wrote in message <3488ee98.0@news.greennet.net>...
>I have an assignment to compare the efficiency of different sort methods.
>Someone please tell me how to get cpu time.

* Help CPU time
@ 1997-12-06  0:00 FKong
From: FKong @ 1997-12-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 1997-12-08  0:00 ` Philip Brashear
From: Philip Brashear @ 1997-12-08  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3488ee98.0@news.greennet.net>, FKong <nova@pcmagic.net> wrote:
>I have an assignment to compare the efficiency of different sort methods.
>Someone please tell me how to get cpu time.

First, getting CPU time is completely operating system dependent, so you
need to tell us what compiler and operating system you're using.

Second, if you want to get it "right", there are some fairly complex
techniques that you have to use.  As an example, you might look at the
Quick-Look subset of the Ada Compiler Evaluation System.

Set your Web browser to  http://sw-eng.falls-church.va.us/compilers/aces
and look for "Quick-Look".

Warning -- measuring execution time accurately is a nasty business!

Phil Brashear
EDS, Inc.
phil.brashear@acm.org

* Re: Help CPU time
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1997-12-08  0:00 ` Stephen Leake
From: Stephen Leake @ 1997-12-08  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

FKong wrote:

> I have an assignment to compare the efficiency of different sort methods.
> Someone please tell me how to get cpu time.

As a start, you can use the package Calendar, which has the routine
Clock; see your reference manual.

If you are running on a system with lots of other users, this won't be
very good (but it might be good enough; ask your professor). If you are
on a single user system, it will be very good.
--
- Stephe