* What Toolchain do you use?
@ 2014-01-15  4:15 kennethesills
From: kennethesills @ 2014-01-15  4:15 UTC (permalink / raw)

Just wanted to know what kind of setup you guys here use?

GNAT GPS 5 or 6 or Emacs? GNAT GCC or GCC-Ada?

* Re: What Toolchain do you use?
@ 2014-01-15  8:28 ` Dmitry A. Kazakov
                   ` (8 subsequent siblings)
From: Dmitry A. Kazakov @ 2014-01-15  8:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 14 Jan 2014 20:15:12 -0800 (PST), kennethesills@gmail.com wrote:

> Just wanted to know what kind of setup you guys here use?
>
> GNAT GPS 5 or 6 or Emacs? GNAT GCC or GCC-Ada?

GPS 5

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov

* Re: What Toolchain do you use?
@ 2014-01-15  9:06 ` Jacob Sparre Andersen
                   ` (7 subsequent siblings)
From: Jacob Sparre Andersen @ 2014-01-15  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

kennethesills@gmail.com writes:

> Just wanted to know what kind of setup you guys here use?

- Debian with "gnat" version 4.6 and "emacs" version 45.0.

- Debian with GNAT-GPL-2013 and "emacs" version 45.0.

- Raspbian with "gnat" and "emacs" (powered down, so I can't look up the
  version numbers).

Greetings,

Jacob
--
Beware of people with Gnus, they may Hurd you.

* Re: What Toolchain do you use?
@ 2014-01-15  9:19 ` Tero Koskinen
                   ` (6 subsequent siblings)
From: Tero Koskinen @ 2014-01-15  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

15.1.2014 6:15, kennethesills@gmail.com wrote:
> Just wanted to know what kind of setup you guys here use?
>
> GNAT GPS 5 or 6 or Emacs? GNAT GCC or GCC-Ada?

Multiple systems here:
- Debian 7 with "gnat" 4.6, vim as editor
   - platforms i386, amd64, armel, armhf
- Fedora 20 with gnat 4.8, also has custom avr-gnat 4.7, vim
   - x86-64, armhf
- Windows XP, Janus/Ada, UltraEdit (commercial editor)
   - 32-bit x86
- Windows 7, Janus/Ada, ICCAda, GNAT GPL 2012, UltraEdit
   - 64-bit x86
- Windows 8.1, Janus/Ada, ICCAda, GNAT GPL 2013, Ultraedit
   - 64-bit x86
- OpenBSD 5.3, gnat 4.7, vim
   - amd64

For coding, I randomly use all of the above, depending on
the task under work. Code stays in sync thanks to Mercurial,
Monotone, and git (distributed version control systems).

In addition, I have various virtual machines with different
versions of Fedora, Debian, and Ubuntu.

All this just to make sure my code works "everywhere". ;)

Yours,
  Tero

* Re: What Toolchain do you use?
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-01-15  9:59 ` Ludovic Brenta
                   ` (5 subsequent siblings)
From: Ludovic Brenta @ 2014-01-15  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Just wanted to know what kind of setup you guys here use?
>
> GNAT GPS 5 or 6 or Emacs? GNAT GCC or GCC-Ada?

Debian testing, gnat-4.8 and emacs 24.3.

--
Ludovic Brenta.

* Re: What Toolchain do you use?
@ 2014-01-15 10:45   ` ake.ragnar.dahlgren
From: ake.ragnar.dahlgren @ 2014-01-15 10:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Den onsdagen den 15:e januari 2014 kl. 10:19:27 UTC+1 skrev Tero Koskinen:
> 15.1.2014 6:15, kennethesills@gmail.com wrote: > Just wanted to know what kind of setup you guys here use? > > GNAT GPS 5 or 6 or Emacs? GNAT GCC or GCC-Ada? > Multiple systems here: - Debian 7 with "gnat" 4.6, vim as editor - platforms i386, amd64, armel, armhf - Fedora 20 with gnat 4.8, also has custom avr-gnat 4.7, vim - x86-64, armhf - Windows XP, Janus/Ada, UltraEdit (commercial editor) - 32-bit x86 - Windows 7, Janus/Ada, ICCAda, GNAT GPL 2012, UltraEdit - 64-bit x86 - Windows 8.1, Janus/Ada, ICCAda, GNAT GPL 2013, Ultraedit - 64-bit x86 - OpenBSD 5.3, gnat 4.7, vim - amd64 For coding, I randomly use all of the above, depending on the task under work. Code stays in sync thanks to Mercurial, Monotone, and git (distributed version control systems). In addition, I have various virtual machines with different versions of Fedora, Debian, and Ubuntu. All this just to make sure my code works "everywhere". ;) Yours, Tero

I use GNAT GPL 2013 and GPS.

I have a question for Tero. What build system does Janus/Ada and ICCAda use? Gprbuild is built to use GNAT gcc. There is no way that I know of to make gprbuild use a different compiler. Should one use make for Janus/Ada and ICCAda, or do these vendors have their own build system?

Regards,
Åke Ragnar Dahlgren

* Re: What Toolchain do you use?
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-01-15 11:04 ` Simon Wright
                   ` (4 subsequent siblings)
From: Simon Wright @ 2014-01-15 11:04 UTC (permalink / raw)

kennethesills@gmail.com writes:

> Just wanted to know what kind of setup you guys here use?

GCC 4.8.1 or GNAT GPL 2013; Emacs 24.3, ada-mode 5.

* Re: What Toolchain do you use?
@ 2014-01-15 23:36     ` Randy Brukardt
From: Randy Brukardt @ 2014-01-15 23:36 UTC (permalink / raw)

<ake.ragnar.dahlgren@gmail.com> wrote in message
>What build system does Janus/Ada and ICCAda use? Gprbuild is built to use
>GNAT gcc.
>There is no way that I know of to make gprbuild use a different compiler.
>Should one use
>make for Janus/Ada and ICCAda, or do these vendors have their own build
>system?

Janus/Ada has it's own build system, which predates gprbuild by many years.
It isn't as encompassing as gprbuild is, so I usually augment it with
Windows (really MS-DOS) batch files (for instance, to move the result
program to a different directory).

Based on Tero's very detailed bug reports, he does something similar with
Janus/Ada.

I've thought about ways to enhance this tool further, but there are more
good ideas than there are hours in the day. :-)

                                       Randy.

* Re: What Toolchain do you use?
@ 2014-01-16  4:48       ` Tero Koskinen
From: Tero Koskinen @ 2014-01-16  4:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

16.1.2014 1:36, Randy Brukardt wrote:
> <ake.ragnar.dahlgren@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> What build system does Janus/Ada and ICCAda use?
>
> Janus/Ada has it's own build system, which predates gprbuild by many years.
> It isn't as encompassing as gprbuild is, so I usually augment it with
> Windows (really MS-DOS) batch files (for instance, to move the result
> program to a different directory).
>
> Based on Tero's very detailed bug reports, he does something similar with
> Janus/Ada.

 From Ahven's source code you can see how I use Janus/Ada's build system:
https://bitbucket.org/tkoskine/ahven/src/tip/janusada/?at=default

The flow is basically following:
  janusada\prepare.bat
  janusada\update.bat
  janusada\compile.bat

prepare.bat needs to be called only once and when I change source
code files, I call update.bat and compile.bat. update.bat will
scan the source code files for changes and compile.bat will compile
the changed files and do the linking.

Ahven doesn't have ICCAda build scripts yet, but you can see
them from my curl-ada repository:
https://bitbucket.org/tkoskine/curl-ada/src/tip/iccada/?at=default

Same logic there:
  iccada\prepare.bat
  iccada\update.bat
  iccada\compile.bat

Yours,
  Tero

* Re: What Toolchain do you use?
@ 2014-01-16  8:10         ` ake.ragnar.dahlgren
From: ake.ragnar.dahlgren @ 2014-01-16  8:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Den torsdagen den 16:e januari 2014 kl. 05:48:28 UTC+1 skrev Tero Koskinen:
> 16.1.2014 1:36, Randy Brukardt wrote: > <ake.ragnar.dahlgren@gmail.com> wrote in message > news:c5afcdcd-3eed-4fdb-88fb-b15949993c41@googlegroups.com... > ... >> What build system does Janus/Ada and ICCAda use? > > Janus/Ada has it's own build system, which predates gprbuild by many years. > It isn't as encompassing as gprbuild is, so I usually augment it with > Windows (really MS-DOS) batch files (for instance, to move the result > program to a different directory). > > Based on Tero's very detailed bug reports, he does something similar with > Janus/Ada. From Ahven's source code you can see how I use Janus/Ada's build system: https://bitbucket.org/tkoskine/ahven/src/tip/janusada/?at=default The flow is basically following: janusada\prepare.bat janusada\update.bat janusada\compile.bat prepare.bat needs to be called only once and when I change source code files, I call update.bat and compile.bat. update.bat will scan the source code files for changes and compile.bat will compile the changed files and do the linking. Ahven doesn't have ICCAda build scripts yet, but you can see them from my curl-ada repository: https://bitbucket.org/tkoskine/curl-ada/src/tip/iccada/?at=default Same logic there: iccada\prepare.bat iccada\update.bat iccada\compile.bat Yours, Tero

Thank you Randy and Tero for clearing that up. I'm very grateful.

Best regards,
Åke Ragnar Dahlgren

* Re: What Toolchain do you use?
                   ` (4 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-01-16 19:34 ` darkestkhan
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: darkestkhan @ 2014-01-16 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, January 15, 2014 4:15:12 AM UTC, kennet...@gmail.com wrote:
> Just wanted to know what kind of setup you guys here use?
>

> GNAT GPS 5 or 6 or Emacs? GNAT GCC or GCC-Ada?

Debian sid with gnat-4.6 and vim as text editor.

* Re: What Toolchain do you use?
@ 2014-01-17 11:02   ` Marius Amado-Alves
From: Marius Amado-Alves @ 2014-01-17 11:02 UTC (permalink / raw)

I use the free GNAT from Adacore and the GCC/G++ that comes with it.
I use mostly Notepad++ for editing.
I use GPS to navigate or analyse code.
I tend to use a gnatmake command line to build.
This on Windows.
On Linux it might change a bit, but lately I've been on Windows (project constraints).

* Re: What Toolchain do you use?
                   ` (5 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-01-17 13:53 ` Bill Findlay
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Bill Findlay @ 2014-01-17 13:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 15/01/2014 04:15, in article
91d2c873-0ae2-4980-8481-9e3caef7371b@googlegroups.com,
"kennethesills@gmail.com" <kennethesills@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just wanted to know what kind of setup you guys here use?
>
> GNAT GPS 5 or 6 or Emacs? GNAT GCC or GCC-Ada?

I develop using GNAT GPL on OS X, with BBEdit and John Matthews's Ada
language module for BBEdit syntax colouring.

My main project is recompiled by Bill Gallagher without source change for
both 32-bit and 64-bit x86 Linux, for the Raspberry Pi, and for 32-bit
Windows (with one ~20 line replacement package body).

--
Bill Findlay
with blueyonder.co.uk;

* Re: What Toolchain do you use?
                   ` (6 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-01-17 23:19 ` Jerry
From: Jerry @ 2014-01-17 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tuesday, January 14, 2014 9:15:12 PM UTC-7, kennet...@gmail.com wrote:
> Just wanted to know what kind of setup you guys here use?
>
> GNAT GPS 5 or 6 or Emacs? GNAT GCC or GCC-Ada?

On OS X, I use AdaCore GNAT and sometimes GPL GNAT, with TextMate 1.5 with the Ada plug-in which I have modified to provide more key-stroke-enabled Ada commands and to use GPR projects. TextMate provides a list of clickable links of compile errors back to the appropriate line(s). I have GPS set up but don't use it but someday I'll get used to using it as a minor adjunct to TextMate. I recall that I did something to make GPS honor the Command key rather than the Control key so it's a tiny bit more Mac-like.

Jerry

* Re: What Toolchain do you use?
@ 2014-01-17 23:27   ` John B. Matthews
From: John B. Matthews @ 2014-01-17 23:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1/17/14, 8:53 AM, Bill Findlay wrote:
> I develop using GNAT GPL on OS X, with BBEdit and John Matthews's
> Ada language module for BBEdit syntax colouring.

Recently updated for Ada 2012:

<http://home.roadrunner.com/~jbmatthews/misc/bbedit.html>

--
John B. Matthews
trashgod at gmail dot com

* Re: What Toolchain do you use?
@ 2014-01-18 12:18     ` Bill Findlay
From: Bill Findlay @ 2014-01-18 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 17/01/2014 23:27, in article lbce8v$o55$1@dont-email.me, "John B.
Matthews" <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> On 1/17/14, 8:53 AM, Bill Findlay wrote:
>> I develop using GNAT GPL on OS X, with BBEdit and John Matthews's
>> Ada language module for BBEdit syntax colouring.
>
> Recently updated for Ada 2012:
>
> <http://home.roadrunner.com/~jbmatthews/misc/bbedit.html>

Thanks again, John.

Has the latest version of BBEdit nobbled some of the installaation advice?

I could not see a way to do this:
"While you're in Preferences -> Languages, select ".ads" in Suffix-mappings
and note that it is an include file."

To do this:
"Click on Options, and put '--' in the Comment Start field"
I had to double-click the language name (no Options button).

--
Bill Findlay
with blueyonder.co.uk;

* Re: What Toolchain do you use?
                   ` (7 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-01-18 13:19 ` Colin Paul Gloster
From: Colin Paul Gloster @ 2014-01-18 13:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have had PowerAda from OC Systems; Janus Ada; and GNAT.

* Re: What Toolchain do you use?
@ 2014-01-18 20:25       ` John B. Matthews
From: John B. Matthews @ 2014-01-18 20:25 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 1/18/14, 7:18 AM, Bill Findlay wrote:
> On 17/01/2014 23:27, in article lbce8v$o55$1@dont-email.me, "John B.
> Matthews" <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:
>
>> On 1/17/14, 8:53 AM, Bill Findlay wrote:
>>> I develop using GNAT GPL on OS X, with BBEdit and John Matthews's
>>> Ada language module for BBEdit syntax colouring.
>>
>> Recently updated for Ada 2012:
>>
>> <http://home.roadrunner.com/~jbmatthews/misc/bbedit.html>
>
> Thanks again, John.
>
> Has the latest version of BBEdit nobbled some of the installation advice?
>
> I could not see a way to do this:
> "While you're in Preferences -> Languages, select ".ads" in Suffix-mappings
> and note that it is an include file."

Thanks for commenting on this. Both BBEdit 9.6.3 and TextWrangler 4.5.5
have changed. I'll look for something a little more generic.

> To do this:
> "Click on Options, and put '--' in the Comment Start field"
> I had to double-click the language name (no Options button).

This also applies in TextWrangler 4.5.5.

--
John B. Matthews
trashgod at gmail dot com

* Re: What Toolchain do you use?
@ 2014-01-19 12:29         ` Bill Findlay
From: Bill Findlay @ 2014-01-19 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 18/01/2014 20:25, in article lbenvp$dif$1@dont-email.me, "John B.
Matthews" <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

> On 1/18/14, 7:18 AM, Bill Findlay wrote:
>> On 17/01/2014 23:27, in article lbce8v$o55$1@dont-email.me, "John B.
>> Matthews" <nospam@nospam.invalid> wrote:

>>> Recently updated for Ada 2012:
>>>
>>> <http://home.roadrunner.com/~jbmatthews/misc/bbedit.html>
>>
>> Thanks again, John.
>>
>> Has the latest version of BBEdit nobbled some of the installation advice?
>>
>> I could not see a way to do this:
>> "While you're in Preferences -> Languages, select ".ads" in Suffix-mappings
>> and note that it is an include file."
>
> Thanks for commenting on this. Both BBEdit 9.6.3 and TextWrangler 4.5.5
> have changed. I'll look for something a little more generic.
>
>> To do this:
>> "Click on Options, and put '--' in the Comment Start field"
>> I had to double-click the language name (no Options button).
>
> This also applies in TextWrangler 4.5.5.

Do you get as fed up as me with apparently pointless UI changes like this?
Made all the worse, of course by reducing the new interface to a guessing
game.

--
Bill Findlay
with blueyonder.co.uk;

* Re: What Toolchain do you use?
                   ` (8 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2014-01-20 11:18 ` landgraf
From: landgraf @ 2014-01-20 11:18 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Wednesday, January 15, 2014 5:15:12 AM UTC+1, kennet...@gmail.com wrote:
> Just wanted to know what kind of setup you guys here use?
>

> GNAT GPS 5 or 6 or Emacs? GNAT GCC or GCC-Ada?

I use Fedora (current release or rawhide) with GCC shipped with it. If there are not some libraries available just package it and submit for the future use. :)
I don't use GPS what's why we don't have it in Fedora still.