From: jharkins@sagpd1.UUCP (Jim Harkins)
Subject: Re: Ada, Eiffel, & language evolution
Date: 15 Mar 90 17:23:07 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <8380@hubcap.clemson.edu> wtwolfe@hubcap.clemson.edu (Bill Wolfe) writes:
>   There is a great need for a single production programming language
>   which supports good software and code engineering practices.

Yep, and there is great need for a single type of automobile.  Any idiot can
see that not only is it extremely dangerous for a person to go from driving
a Hyndai Excel to a Ford Aerostar, as a nation we are wasting an awful lot
of time both in learning new skills and in designing automobiles that differ
in several respects.  I think a good compromise would be the Ford Escort.
It's cheap, about $10,000, can seat 4 comfortably, can easily do 55 MPH,
gets about 25 MPG, and the back seat folds down so it can double as a pickup.
It's intuitively obvious to the most casual observer that anyone who
disagrees with this is for mayhem and bloodshed on our nations highways.

I think somebody said it best when they said that it's silly to think 1
sledgehammer fits all, and the procurement of a B2 bomber is fundamentally
different than the procurement of a hammer.  Same with software, I don't
think there will ever be a language where 1 size fits all.  But what do
I know, I'm one of those C programmers with a cavalier attitude anyway.

--
jim		jharkins@sagpd1

"My hope is that we can use tariffs to force Japan to open their markets to
 imported goods.  My fear is I'll be forced to buy lousy American made stuff."