* CMake and Ada : a track around the place ?
@ 2011-07-30 11:48 Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57)
From: Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) @ 2011-07-30 11:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi all (a long time I didn't posted here, hope every one is fine and fine)

I may have two opportunities to push Ada in two different projects. The
first one is OK, as I will start it from the ground up. The second one is
rather different, in the way it is an already existing project I would
like to work on (may not be a priority, as I would probably get nothing
for this, as it is a GPL application). This is a C++ rather big (for me)
peace of software, which however provide an opportunity to push Ada
inside, as it is a very modular application (I may dream, in the future,
to incrementally translate some part from C++ to Ada, as I hate when this
application crash with no back-track and runtime-check at all). Alex R.
Masteo already talked about CMake and Ada here, as I did too some time
before Alex. Ludovic replied to Alex using CMake is a bad idea. I
understood the reason he gave, but I simply would like it anyway, for
seamless integration, as this application has a build process all designed
around CMake since long, and I would not want to change.

The sole material I could found about this topic, is an old mailing list
archive. I just made a test with a sample Ada project to see what's going
on using Make as-is, and CMake complained he could not determine some
linker language for the target application. So Ada is clearly not built-in
the default CMake.

Any track for using CMake to build a source tree containing Ada sources
mixed with C++ files ? I would probably rely on solely GNAT for the Ada
compiler, as it comes along GCC (this may help).

Have a nice time all, and happy designing

--
“Syntactic sugar causes cancer of the semi-colons.”  [Epigrams on
Programming — Alan J. — P. Yale University]

* Re: CMake and Ada : a track around the place ?
@ 2011-08-01  9:23 ` Alex R. Mosteo
From: Alex R. Mosteo @ 2011-08-01  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) wrote:

> Hi all (a long time I didn't posted here, hope every one is fine and fine)
>
> I may have two opportunities to push Ada in two different projects. The
> first one is OK, as I will start it from the ground up. The second one is
> rather different, in the way it is an already existing project I would
> like to work on (may not be a priority, as I would probably get nothing
> for this, as it is a GPL application). This is a C++ rather big (for me)
> peace of software, which however provide an opportunity to push Ada
> inside, as it is a very modular application (I may dream, in the future,
> to incrementally translate some part from C++ to Ada, as I hate when this
> application crash with no back-track and runtime-check at all). Alex R.
> Masteo already talked about CMake and Ada here, as I did too some time
> before Alex. Ludovic replied to Alex using CMake is a bad idea. I
> understood the reason he gave, but I simply would like it anyway, for
> seamless integration, as this application has a build process all designed
> around CMake since long, and I would not want to change.
>
> The sole material I could found about this topic, is an old mailing list
> archive. I just made a test with a sample Ada project to see what's going
> on using Make as-is, and CMake complained he could not determine some
> linker language for the target application. So Ada is clearly not built-in
> the default CMake.
>
> Any track for using CMake to build a source tree containing Ada sources
> mixed with C++ files ? I would probably rely on solely GNAT for the Ada
> compiler, as it comes along GCC (this may help).

Hi Yannick,

I wish you some success here since I'm really interested in this too. In the
end, I finally went pure C++ after my earlier posts on this topic, for a
variety of minor reasons that together made this the better choice.

That said, I never got around to make any Ada tests, but after all the
discussion here and the threads (that can be easily found) on the Ada PlPlot
binding (which also uses CMake), my final conclusion was that, whenever I
get the opportunity, I'll start by testing the apparently simplest option of
bypassing CMake from inside CMake: that is, launching gprbuild
(add_custom_command, add_custom_target? execute_process?) to build a self-
contained Ada library that is finally linked to the main C++ executable
(with link_libraries and target_link_libraries).

This is ugly in that it simply does not integrate Ada into CMake (as the
guys from PlPlot seem to have done); I'm not even sure if this will work
and, if it does, which complications may arise. On the other hand, CMake
(partially) sets to solve a problem that Ada does not have, so I feel it is
OK to rely on the Ada compilation process, particularly if it is the way of
minimal integration pain.

In any case, I'm interested in your experience, so please do share any or
other way!

Alex.

@ 2011-08-01 10:54   ` Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57)
From: Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) @ 2011-08-01 10:54 UTC (permalink / raw)

Le Mon, 01 Aug 2011 11:23:33 +0200, Alex R. Mosteo
<alejandro@mosteo.invalid> a écrit:

> In any case, I'm interested in your experience, so please do share any or
> other way!
>
> Alex.

Alex, be assured I will, but expect a few months delay (I this will not
make you sad too much). I also discussed this topic a bit on French Ubuntu
forum, where a developer heavily using CMake gave me some average
recommendations in that purpose.

--

@ 2011-08-04  9:27     ` Alex R. Mosteo
From: Alex R. Mosteo @ 2011-08-04  9:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yannick Duchêne (Hibou57) wrote:

> Le Mon, 01 Aug 2011 11:23:33 +0200, Alex R. Mosteo
> <alejandro@mosteo.invalid> a écrit:
>
>> In any case, I'm interested in your experience, so please do share any or
>> other way!
>>
>> Alex.
>
> Alex, be assured I will, but expect a few months delay (I this will not
> make you sad too much). I also discussed this topic a bit on French Ubuntu
> forum, where a developer heavily using CMake gave me some average
> recommendations in that purpose.

Don't worry about the delay. I plan to lurk here for as long as I keep
programming, and I am the first one that sometimes throws a stone to later
never follow through...

Good luck!

* Re: CMake and Ada : a track around the place ?
@ 2011-08-05  5:50   ` Ada novice
From: Ada novice @ 2011-08-05  5:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Aug 1, 10:23 am, "Alex R. Mosteo" <alejan...@mosteo.invalid> wrote:

> This is ugly in that it simply does not integrate Ada into CMake (as the
> guys from PlPlot seem to have done); I'm not even sure if this will work
> and, if it does, which complications may arise. On the other hand, CMake
> (partially) sets to solve a problem that Ada does not have, so I feel it is
> OK to rely on the Ada compilation process, particularly if it is the way of
> minimal integration pain.

I never got PlPlot to work with Ada on Windows. The installation is so
complicated with CMake.

YC