From: rleif@rleif.com (Robert C. Leif)
Subject: Omission in the Ada Standard
Date: 25 Sep 2003 08:05:16 -0700
Date: 2003-09-25T15:05:18+00:00	[thread overview]

While I was working on my latest project, the CellFuge, I was shocked
to learn that Jerry van Dijk's Io_Ports package that I have did not
compile with GNAT. I do need an up to date version. Since the Intel
Pentium class of processors and their clones are a very large part of
the software market, the possibility of port based IO should be
included in Ada.  I would suggest a child library of Package System.
Something like the source text below. The with System and use System
were included to permit compilation.
with System;
use System;
package System.Ports is
   type Port is new Address;
   Null_Port : constant Port := Port (Null_Address);
   Port_Unit : constant      := Storage_Unit;

   -- Address Comparison:
   function "<" (
         Left,
         Right : Port )
     return Boolean;
   function "<=" (
         Left,
         Right : Port )
     return Boolean;
   function ">" (
         Left,
         Right : Port )
     return Boolean;
   function ">=" (
         Left,
         Right : Port )
     return Boolean;
   function "=" (
         Left,
         Right : Port )
     return Boolean;
   -- function "/=" (Left, Right : Port) return Boolean;
   -- "/=" is implicitly defined
end System.Ports;
This would be followed by variants of the other System child
libraries. One way to do this is to create a generic package that
could be instantiated into both System and Ports.
Bob
Robert C. Leif, Ph.D.
Email rleif@rleif.com