From: lynch@castor (Lynch)
Subject: Re: Three cheers for free CD-ROMS!
Date: 1997/11/17
Date: 1997-11-17T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Chris Morgan (mihalis@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
: I can testify that John's CD is fantastic. I find the Walnut Creek
: CD-ROM to be a mix of the latest and greatest and a _lot_ of old
: obsolete junk. It is the ultimate resource but you need to spend time
: sifting the wheat from the chaff. On John's disc he has spent that
: time for you.

: Windows95 is pretty much essential however (a surprising hurdle at my
: last place, almost no serious Ada people had made the move yet).

The Ada-Tour is supposed to run on anything down to Windows 3.1
on a 386 with 4MB (maybe 8MB for V2.0). For various strange
reasons the new installation program requires Win32s, but the
Tour itself runs fine on plain 3.1, which was one of the
requirements from the German defence ministry (so that it would
run on all/most of their machines).

I was slightly disappointed with the "Discovering Ada" CD-ROM
that was on my latest copy of Ada Letters. It appears to me as
one of those kind of presentations that are "too flashy for their
own good". No mention of any minimum requirements either.

Started it up at work and got a nice title screen with a single
button "previous user" or similar. I'm not a previous user, so
now what? Wait, nothing happens, wait, nothing happens...

How am I supposed to know that some friendly voice is trying
to talk to me? Of all the PCs at CCI I know only three that
have been equiped with a soundcard.

It looked and sounded great on my multimedia Pentium at home,
but how many people who are interested in Ada have access to
such a system? (Also the installation program did not seem to
think much of WinNT 4.0)

Out of interest: What is the intended target audience for the
"Discovering Ada" CD-ROM? Was any thought given to the minimum
hardware requirements needed to run the application?

Andrew.

--
Andrew Lynch, CCI GmbH Meppen

zur Zeit bei: