* Installation of Alsys ADA for PC
@ 1994-12-07 12:43 Jan Ahlers
From: Jan Ahlers @ 1994-12-07 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi !

I and some fellow students of mine have the following problem:
We can't get the Alsys ADA 16-Bit Compiler V5.1.2 for MS-DOS working on
systems with 4-8MB of RAM, even when following the instructions given in the
installation manual exactly. The command line compiler works great, but when
trying to compile using ADAM a GENERAL PROTECTION VIOLATION keeps appearing.
Has anybody round here experience with this kind of problem and tackled it
successfully ? In that case it would be fantastic to get some feedback on
just what our problem might be !
(if you don't want to tie up this newsgroup with this matter, please feel
free to send an email to me !)

Thanks so much !
JCA

Jan C. Ahlers =============================================== Phone: 0251/89215
Bentelerstr. 8           CARPE NOCTEM !
48149 Muenster
GERMANY ===================================== email: Jan.Ahlers@uni-muenster.de

* Re: Installation of Alsys ADA for PC
@ 1994-12-13 14:50 ` Peter Hermann
From: Peter Hermann @ 1994-12-13 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jan Ahlers (ahlersj@comix.uni-muenster.de) wrote:
: We can't get the Alsys ADA 16-Bit Compiler V5.1.2 for MS-DOS working on
           it's Ada (not ADA)
: systems with 4-8MB of RAM, even when following the instructions given in the
: installation manual exactly. The command line compiler works great, but when

with 4MB, the command line commands work excellently.
(dont forget to initialize with adaswap after boot)

: trying to compile using ADAM a GENERAL PROTECTION VIOLATION keeps appearing.

beginning from 8MB, Adam works fine. (and without adaswap, I guess)

--
Peter Hermann  Tel:+49-711-685-3611 Fax:3758 ph@csv.ica.uni-stuttgart.de
Pfaffenwaldring 27, 70569 Stuttgart Uni Computeranwendungen

* Re: Installation of Alsys ADA for PC
@ 1994-12-22  0:17 Jason Sara
From: Jason Sara @ 1994-12-22  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

The Alsys PC products dont work very well, they have lots of hidden
bugs which you will eventually discover.  You are lucky that you cant
install it.

However, the solution is to not use ANY memory manager and have
FILES=50 - or some big number.  If you want to debug real programs,
expect to have at least 16 MB of memory.  You may also have to run
EINSTALL to finish the install process.

* Re: Installation of Alsys ADA for PC
@ 1994-12-26 15:44 ` Mark Bayern
From: Mark Bayern @ 1994-12-26 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <3dagi5$234i@usenetp1.news.prodigy.com>, Jason Sara (REEF46A@prodigy.com) writes:
>The Alsys PC products dont work very well, they have lots of hidden
>bugs which you will eventually discover.  You are lucky that you cant
>install it.

Wow! Compared to some of the other PC offerings Alsys's stuff is
great!  Get the 386 code generator, and be VERY SURE to ask tech
support about the 'small object problem' and you'll be all set. (Or
as best you can be when running in MS-DOS<s>).

Mark