* Using Text_Io.Open
@ 1997-11-10  0:00 AA HOLMES
From: AA HOLMES @ 1997-11-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello. I'm a student studying Ada in a Unix enviroment.
When you open files using Text_Io.Open command you can specify a path name
for the file. Unfortunatly I want to use the '~' to specify the directory
/home/(user)
user been the users login name. So far I have to recompile the source
everytime Someone asks for a copy of my program.
So for example if someone with login name psdrayto asked for a copy, I
would have to change the file name to /home/psdrayto/config and then
recompile. Is there a way to use system Variables or shortcuts in Ada ?

Aidan.

* Re: Using Text_Io.Open
@ 1997-11-10  0:00 ` Tarjei T. Jensen
From: Tarjei T. Jensen @ 1997-11-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

AA HOLMES wrote:

> Hello. I'm a student studying Ada in a Unix enviroment.
> When you open files using Text_Io.Open command you can specify a path name
> for the file. Unfortunatly I want to use the '~' to specify the directory
> /home/(user)
> user been the users login name. So far I have to recompile the source
> everytime Someone asks for a copy of my program.
> So for example if someone with login name psdrayto asked for a copy, I
> would have to change the file name to /home/psdrayto/config and then
> recompile. Is there a way to use system Variables or shortcuts in Ada ?

I belive that with GNAT command line stuff has an extension that allows
you to have a look at environment variables. I belive that ACT has some
online documentation at http://www.gnat.com.

If I'm wrong about the documentation the compiler and some documentation
is available from ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat.

Greetings,

--
// Tarjei T. Jensen
//    tarjei@online.no || voice +47 51 62 85 58

* Re: Using Text_Io.Open
@ 1997-11-10  0:00 ` David  Weller
From: David  Weller @ 1997-11-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <Pine.GSO.3.95.971110170857.578D-100000@dcsun4.comp.brad.ac.uk>,
AA HOLMES  <aaholmes@comp.brad.ac.uk> wrote:
>Hello. I'm a student studying Ada in a Unix enviroment.
>When you open files using Text_Io.Open command you can specify a path name
>for the file. Unfortunatly I want to use the '~' to specify the directory
>/home/(user)
>user been the users login name. So far I have to recompile the source
>everytime Someone asks for a copy of my program.

Remember that things like ~ and $HOME are unique to the shells you're
using.  These features are non-portable to OS platforms like
Microsoft.  You should look at the vendor-supplied libraries.  If
you're using GNAT, you can use the routine supplied in GNAT.IO_Aux.
Although I hasten to add that you may still have to explicitly expand
the shell symbol.

Good luck!
--
   ******   NEW!!  DoD Ada Hotline Number:  1-800-PARIAH    ******
I refuse to let spammers control my e-mail address.  You don't have to remove