* Re: option de compilation pour GNAT sous linux
@ 2000-07-13  0:00 ` Robert Dewar
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Robert Dewar @ 2000-07-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <8kl8i8$caf$1@vega.worldonline.fr>,
  "Jean-S�bastien Lebacq" <js.lebacq_nospam@mail.dotcom.fr>
wrote:
> Quelles sont les options � sitpuler � gnatmake pour le que  le
programme
> soit compil� sans les instructions de contr�le (de d�passement
lors des
> calculs, etc...) ? Ces instructions sont tr�s utiles pendant
le d�buggage,
> mais l' ex�cutable s'en retrouve tr�s lent.
>
> merci d'avance, JSL.

For future reference this is an english only newsgroup. If
you want to post in French, you will find the French Ada
newsgroup to be more useful.

Generally you definitely need the GNAT documentation to use
GNAT. Trying to use gnatmake without the documentation will
result in inefficiencies and mistakes. If you don't have the
documentation (it should be in all distributions), you should
track it down.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

* option de compilation pour GNAT sous linux
@ 2000-07-13  0:00 Jean-S�bastien Lebacq
From: Jean-S�bastien Lebacq @ 2000-07-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Bonjour,

Quelles sont les options � sitpuler � gnatmake pour le que  le programme
soit compil� sans les instructions de contr�le (de d�passement lors des
calculs, etc...) ? Ces instructions sont tr�s utiles pendant le d�buggage,
mais l' ex�cutable s'en retrouve tr�s lent.

merci d'avance, JSL.

* Re: option de compilation pour GNAT sous linux
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 2000-07-14  0:00 ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2000-07-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jean-S�bastien Lebacq a �crit dans le message
<8kl8i8$caf$1@vega.worldonline.fr>...
>Bonjour,
>
>Quelles sont les options � sitpuler � gnatmake pour le que  le programme
>soit compil� sans les instructions de contr�le (de d�passement lors des
>calculs, etc...) ? Ces instructions sont tr�s utiles pendant le d�buggage,
>mais l' ex�cutable s'en retrouve tr�s lent.
>
>merci d'avance, JSL.

C'est dans le GNAT User's Guide :)

Pascal.

--|

* Re: option de compilation pour GNAT sous linux
@ 2000-07-14  0:00 ` G. de Montmollin
From: G. de Montmollin @ 2000-07-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Minimally: gnatmake -gnatpn -O2
BTW: news:fr.comp.lang.ada for messages in french...
Gautier  --  http://members.xoom.com/gdemont/gsoft.htm

* English-only? [was Re: option de compilation pour GNAT sous linux]
@ 2000-07-14  0:00   ` Philip Anderson
From: Philip Anderson @ 2000-07-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Dewar wrote:

<snip>
> For future reference this is an english only newsgroup. If
> you want to post in French, you will find the French Ada
> newsgroup to be more useful.
<smap>

I haven't seen a charter for this group, but it would seem a surprising
restriction to impose.  There is the practical disadvantage that a post
in another language might not reach all those who would be interested,
but if someone prefers to use their native language or does not have the
confidence to write in a second language, they should not inhibited from
asking a question.

Of course it is quite reasonable to reply in English, since most people
can read English better than they can write it, but it is still good
practice to avoid English or American idioms.

A surprising number of people seem to take exception to postings in
languages other than English - though nothing like the flames that can
come to someone using English in a language-specific newsgroup or
mailing list!  Since the Internet and Usenet are multinational, with
readers and contributors from all over the world, I don't see why more
locations should not be multilingual (except language-specific locations
of course).

--
hwyl/cheers,
Philip Anderson

* Re: option de compilation pour GNAT sous linux
@ 2000-07-14  0:00   ` Dewi Daniels
From: Dewi Daniels @ 2000-07-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Robert Dewar <robert_dewar@my-deja.com> wrote:

>For future reference this is an english only newsgroup. If
>you want to post in French, you will find the French Ada
>newsgroup to be more useful.

I can't find a charter that says comp.lang.ada is an English-only
newsgroup. In fact, I can't find a charter for comp.lang.ada at all!

Personally, I welcome posts in any language. I like to think that
news:comp.lang.ada is for the international Ada community and that all
nationalities are welcome here. It's true that a posting in English is
more likely to get a reply (and it's also true that Jean-Sébastien
would have been more likely to have got an answer to his question in
news:fr.comp.lang.ada). I have occasionally responded to non-English
posts in other newsgroups, though my responses have necessarily been
in English.

For those of us who aren't very good at foreign languages (including
me), there are now some free web-based services, such as
http://www.freetranslation.com, that provide passable translations of
web sites and usenet articles.

I suppose if we were to stipulate a single language for this
newsgroup, then strictly it ought to be US English, since the Ada LRM
is written in that language. That might cause some difficulties for us
(UK) English speakers, though :-)
--
Dewi Daniels
West Ashton, Wiltshire, England

* Re: English-only? [was Re: option de compilation pour GNAT sous linux]
@ 2000-07-14  0:00     ` Dewi Daniels
From: Dewi Daniels @ 2000-07-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Philip Anderson <phil.anderson@gecm.com> wrote:

>I haven't seen a charter for this group, but it would seem a surprising
>restriction to impose.  There is the practical disadvantage that a post
>in another language might not reach all those who would be interested,
>but if someone prefers to use their native language or does not have the
>confidence to write in a second language, they should not inhibited from
>asking a question.
>
>Of course it is quite reasonable to reply in English, since most people
>can read English better than they can write it, but it is still good
>practice to avoid English or American idioms.
>
>A surprising number of people seem to take exception to postings in
>languages other than English - though nothing like the flames that can
>come to someone using English in a language-specific newsgroup or
>mailing list!  Since the Internet and Usenet are multinational, with
>readers and contributors from all over the world, I don't see why more
>locations should not be multilingual (except language-specific locations
>of course).

Rwy'n cytuno'n llwyr gyda ti (I agree completely with you).

P.S. Is this the first posting to comp.lang.ada in Welsh?

From: Dewi Daniels @ 2000-07-14  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Jean-Sébastien Lebacq" <js.lebacq_nospam@mail.dotcom.fr> à escrit:

>Quelles sont les options à sitpuler à gnatmake pour le que  le programme
>soit compilé sans les instructions de contrôle (de dépassement lors des
>calculs, etc...) ? Ces instructions sont très utiles pendant le débuggage,
>mais l' exécutable s'en retrouve très lent.

Jean-Sébastien,

Vous avez besoin de lire le "GNAT User's Guide", que vouz trouverez à
ftp://cs.nyu.edu/pub/gnat. Je pense que vous avez besoin de "gnatmake
-gnatp".