* Re: Address attribute
@ 1997-11-04  0:00 ` Matthew Heaney
From: Matthew Heaney @ 1997-11-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <345FD3FB.74A32F4A@academic.truman.edu>, "Chad R. Meiners"
<v025@academic.truman.edu> wrote:

>Could anyone post an example where the address attribute is used to set
>a varible to a specfic location in memory(a.k.a the text buffer).  The
>rational said it is possible, but it does not give an example of how it
>would be done.  Any help would be appreciated.

declare
   Buffer : Text_Buffer;
   for Buffer'Address use A;
begin

Of course, you have to know the value of address A.

Matthew Heaney
Software Development Consultant
<mailto:matthew_heaney@acm.org>
(818) 985-1271

* Address attribute
@ 1997-11-04  0:00 Chad R. Meiners
From: Chad R. Meiners @ 1997-11-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Could anyone post an example where the address attribute is used to set
a varible to a specfic location in memory(a.k.a the text buffer).  The
rational said it is possible, but it does not give an example of how it
would be done.  Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Chad R. Meiners

* Re: Address attribute
@ 1997-11-05  0:00 ` Robert S. White
From: Robert S. White @ 1997-11-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <345FD3FB.74A32F4A@academic.truman.edu>, v025@academic.truman.edu
says...

>Could anyone post an example where the address attribute is used to set
>a varible to a specfic location in memory(a.k.a the text buffer).  The

  Not quite an attribute.  Just use "use at".

Robert S. White         -- An embedded systems software engineer
e-mail reply to reverse of: ia us lib cedar-rapids crpl shift2 whiter

* Re: Address attribute
@ 1997-11-05  0:00   ` Matthew Heaney
From: Matthew Heaney @ 1997-11-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <63p32j$fr2$1@flood.weeg.uiowa.edu>, nospam@somewhere.ia.us
(Robert S. White) wrote:

>In article <345FD3FB.74A32F4A@academic.truman.edu>, v025@academic.truman.edu
>says...
>>
>>Could anyone post an example where the address attribute is used to set
>>a varible to a specfic location in memory(a.k.a the text buffer).  The
>
>  Not quite an attribute.  Just use "use at".

In Ada 83, it is correct that one doesn't use the attribute form:

declare
   Text : Text_Buffer;
   for Text use at A;
begin

But this syntax is inconsistent with the rest of the language, for example

declare
   type T is delta 0.01 range 0.0 .. 100.0;
   for T'Small use 0.01;
begin

Why treat the syntax of address specification any different?  The syntax
was indeed changed in Ada 95, and the form above has been deprecated.

@ 1997-11-07  0:00     ` Robert S. White
From: Robert S. White @ 1997-11-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <mheaney-ya023680000511970727050001@news.ni.net>, mheaney@ni.net
says...

>Why treat the syntax of address specification any different?  The syntax
>was indeed changed in Ada 95, and the form above has been deprecated.

  You are absolutely right Matthew, and I am still stuck in Ada 83
land ;-/   I really need to live and breath Ada 95 some more before
I help others on the usenet.  Mea culpa.