* Steelman document and GNAT for *BSD
@ 1997-11-03  0:00 Nuada (Eric DeArment)
From: Nuada (Eric DeArment) @ 1997-11-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Does anybody know where I can obtain a copy of the Steelman document?  I'm
trying to to educate a skeptical C++ user about the versatility of the
language :)  Also, I've written a program to be run under FreeBSD, but I
wasn't able to find a version of GNAT for any of the BSD's (I have reason
to believe that the PAL is down or running extremely sluggishly at the
time of this writing).  Can I get a version for *BSD, or will I just have
to compile the source tree manually?

			| "It is what sustained us through our days,|
			|  the truth that was in our hearts, the    |
			|  strength in our arms, and fulfillment in |
			|  our tongues."                 	    |
			|  --Oisin Mac Finn (Celtic warrior hero)   |
			|					    |
			|  Eric DeArment   /|\			    |
			|  ejd@efn.org				    |
	   		|  Team Ada				    |
                        |  "E Pluribus Unix"                        |

* Re: Steelman document and GNAT for *BSD
@ 1997-11-04  0:00 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1997-11-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Eric said

<<Does anybody know where I can obtain a copy of the Steelman document?  I'm
trying to to educate a skeptical C++ user about the versatility of the
language :)  Also, I've written a program to be run under FreeBSD, but I
wasn't able to find a version of GNAT for any of the BSD's (I have reason
to believe that the PAL is down or running extremely sluggishly at the
time of this writing).  Can I get a version for *BSD, or will I just have
to compile the source tree manually?>>

Remember that GNAT is written in Ada 95, so you need a working GNAT
compiler before you can compile it. The norrmal method of getting GNAT
onto a new machine is to build a cross-compiler from a machine on which
GNAT does exist. There have been volunteer ports to FreeBSD in the past,
but I do not know if there is a current one.

* Re: Steelman document and GNAT for *BSD
@ 1997-11-04  0:00 ` David Wheeler
From: David Wheeler @ 1997-11-04  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nuada (Eric DeArment) (ejd@efn.org) wrote:
: Does anybody know where I can obtain a copy of the Steelman document?  I'm
: trying to to educate a skeptical C++ user about the versatility of the
: language :)

I've developed two items related to Steelman that you'll probably find useful:
1. A copy of Steelman (which I scanned from a paper copy) in various
   electronic formats: HTML, Postscript, RTF, Framemaker 5, and ASCII.
   The HTML format includes anchored links so you can jump directly to
   specific requirements in the document.
2. A paper I've written that compares Ada95, C, C++, and Java to
   each of the Steelman requirements, which was published in "Ada Letters".

Both are available on Magnus Kempe's "adahome"; just go to:
  http://www.adahome.com/History/Steelman/intro.htm

I hope you find these items very useful.

--- David A. Wheeler
    dwheeler@ida.org

* Re: Steelman document and GNAT for *BSD
@ 1997-11-15  0:00 ` Matthew Heaney
From: Matthew Heaney @ 1997-11-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <Pine.SUN.3.95.971103155825.20868A-100000@garcia.efn.org>,
"Nuada (Eric DeArment)" <ejd@efn.org> wrote:

>Does anybody know where I can obtain a copy of the Steelman document?  I'm
>trying to to educate a skeptical C++ user about the versatility of the
>language :)

There's a paper at the Ada home page and the Ada IC that compare's Ada to
C++; perhaps that'll help.  There's also a new book Ada 95 for C++
Programmers, that even includes a free (AONIX) compiler.

Also, I think there's an HTML copy (scanning in by David Wheeler) of
Steelman those web sites too.  (I know you can order a copy of Steelman
from NIST, but try the web sites first.)

Matthew Heaney
Software Development Consultant
<mailto:matthew_heaney@acm.org>
(818) 985-1271