From: nospam@somewhere.ia.us (Robert S. White)
Subject: Re: A SPARC curiosity.
Date: 1997/10/29
Date: 1997-10-29T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <345741D3.2162@pseserv3.fw.hac.com>, wwgrol@pseserv3.fw.hac.com
says...

>But as I was trying to figure out what seemed wrong, I discovered
>it DOES work on another SPARC!
>
>Details:
>gcc 2.7.2 and gnat 3.10 crossmounted to both machines.
>Same executable (no relinking) does not work on this:
>   166 -> uname -a
>   SunOS sparc02 5.5.1 Generic sun4d sparc SUNW,SPARCserver-1000
                                    ^                 ^^^^^^
>but does work on this:
>   169 -> uname -a
>   SunOS gc058 5.5.1 Generic sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-2
>
>The error is not a crash or other disaster, merely a truncation of
>the output.  Optimization -O3 and -O0 are the same.

  Couple of possiblities.  Is one machine a multi-CPU and the other
a uniprocessor?  I was told by one of our UNIX admins at work that
Solaris 2.5 (which you have above) requires a full working day to
install all of the patches after upgrading a SPARC workstation from
an older SunOS or Solaris 2.4 os.  Could the problem machine be
missing one of these patches?  We will be hoping that Solaris 2.6
does not require as many patches.

  Have you tried posting this to comp.sys.sun.misc or
comp.unix.solaris ?

Robert S. White         -- An embedded systems software engineer
e-mail reply to reverse of: ia us lib cedar-rapids crpl shift2 whiter