From: weberwu@compute.tfh-berlin.de (Debora Weber-Wulff)
Subject: Three cheers for free CD-ROMS!
Date: 1997/10/29
Date: 1997-10-29T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Now that's the way to promote a language! We are teaching Ada in
all three computer-related degree programs as the first language.
This semester we have more than 160 students beginning their
studies.

A colleague discovered that the company CCI in Meppen, Germany would
send free copies of the Ada Tour 2.0 i (including the Lovelace
tutorial, a collection of compilers and a pile of documentation)
to anyone who asked. So we asked, and we promptly found big boxes
of CDs waiting for us in the departmental offices.

It was like Christmas, passing the CDs out in class! All those
faces lit up - they were getting something for nothing! And the
griping about us teaching a language not used in the Real World (tm)
disappeared. This is exactly what needs to be done (and done fast)
to attract young engineers to the language: give them a free taste
of how good it is. Thanks to CCI for preparing this great CD!

-----
Prof. Dr. Debora Weber-Wulff      Technische Fachhochschule Berlin
                                  FB Informatik, Luxemburger Str. 10,
                                  13353 Berlin, Germany
weberwu@tfh-berlin.de             http://www.tfh-berlin.de/~weberwu/