From: jbg@sei.cmu.edu (John Goodenough)
Subject: Re: Interpretation of LRM 13.10.1
Date: 5 Mar 90 17:01:52 GMT	[thread overview]

In article Re: Interpretation of LRM 13.10.1 of 2 Mar 90 18:21:00 GMT
stt@inmet.inmet.com writes:

> By the way, the ARG (Ada Rapporteur(sp?) Group) recently decided to reverse
> an earlier decision, and consider a reference to a task
> outside of its scope as erroneous (the dreaded task-returning function
> problem).

Just a reminder that the ARG does not have the last word on interpreting the
Standard.  ARG decisions are subject to review at higher approval levels and
are not definitive until approved by ISO WG9 (responsible for the ISO Ada
Standard) and the AJPO (responsible for the ANSI standard).  Although I would
not expect the decision on functions returning tasks to be reversed after
further review, ARG decisions have in the past been reversed in response to
objections.

John B. Goodenough					Goodenough@sei.cmu.edu
Chair, ARG
Software Engineering Institute				412-268-6391