From: "James S. Rogers" <jimmaureenrogers@worldnet.att.net>
Subject: Re: Ada callable from Visual Basic?
Date: 1997/10/20
Date: 1997-10-20T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Al Christians <achrist@easystreet.com> wrote in article
<344B03EE.1A93@easystreet.com>...

> Maybe the disposable software vendors have established a position that
> puts non-disposable software producers at a serious disadvantage in the
> mainstream.  You don't give your customer much extra value by
> engineering your product to go 30 years between failures if his OS fails
> every 30 minutes.   You don't give your customer much extra value by
> engineering your product to be maintainable for 30 years, when your
> competitors will make your products look obsolete every 30 months.

It is precisely this attitude which has contributed so well to the current
year 2000 problem.  I have seen estimates that the year 2000 problem will
cost $15,000,000,000 in US Dollars to correct.  This does not even begin
to cover all the costs associated with failed businesses, lost profits, and
lawsuits from customers and stockholders which await companies failing to
correct the problem in a timely manner.

The problems associated with the year 2000 problem have been known
about for more than 20 years.  The problem was perpetuated by the
attitude that the software would never be in use long enough to be a
problem,
or that the software would be completely rebuilt at some later date,
thereby
fixing the problem.  The software is being rebuilt now.  The cost is
staggering
due to the size of the problem and the procrastination in addressing the
problem.

Disposable software continues to appear attractive to business because
costs are still viewed only in the short term.  In the long term disposable
software reveals itself to be a symptom of a serious lapse in professional
ethics, costing many times more than it ever saves.

Jim Rogers
Colorado Springs, Colorado