From: Kenneth Wolcott <kennethwolcott@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: ALR unable to get many packages
Date: Sat, 5 Aug 2023 14:58:42 -0700 (PDT)	[thread overview]

On Saturday, August 5, 2023 at 2:02:27 PM UTC-7, Kenneth Wolcott wrote:
> On Saturday, August 5, 2023 at 12:28:59 AM UTC-7, Simon Wright wrote:
> > Kenneth Wolcott writes:
> >
> > > I am on a Mac Mini with an M1 chip and I have GNAT Ada 13.1 (thanks Simon!)
> > I take it you're using the aarch64 (Apple silicon) version?
> > > ALR does not work very well for me. I am unable to "alr get" many
> > > packages (see below for an example).
> > Please let me know which (external) packages you're having trouble with.
> > > Updating the index does not help in most of these cases.
> > >
> > > Is ALR incompatible with an external GNAT compiler?
> > No.
> >
> > Which version of alr are you using? If it's 2.0-dev (from my build, see
> > below, for Apple silicon) then it understands Homebrew.
> >
> > https://github.com/simonjwright/alire-index.mac/releases/tag/alr_binary_aarch64-1.0.0
> >
> > Not all index entries for external packages have been updated to include
> > Homebrew links (this includes openssl), but you should still be able to
> > say "brew install <whatever>" and have it work.
> >
> > At present, you need to have something like this in your startup
> > scripts: working on it!
> >
> > eval $(/opt/homebrew/bin/brew shellenv)
> > export C_INCLUDE_PATH=$HOMEBREW_PREFIX/include
> > export LIBRARY_PATH=$HOMEBREW_PREFIX/lib
> > > What am I doing wrong here?
> > Running past the wavefront :-(
> >
> > > alr --no-color get aws
> >
> > It took me a while to work out that I needed to use
> > --no-color. Investigating what's going wrong.
> > > Warning:
> > > Warning: New solution is incomplete.
> > > Warning: +i gnat 13.1.0 (new,installed,gnat_external)
> > > Warning: + gnatcoll 23.0.0 (new)
> > > Warning: + libgpr 23.0.0 (new,indirect)
> > > Warning: + make 3.81.0 (new)
> > > Warning: +~ openssl * (new,external)
> > > Warning: + xmlada 23.0.0 (new)
> > > Warning:
> > > Warning: Could not find a complete solution for aws=23.0.0
> > > Build will fail unless externals are made available, do you want to continue?
> > > [Y] Yes [N] No (default is No) n
> > > ERROR: Crate retrieval abandoned.
> > If you "brew install openssl" you should be able to say "Y" here.
> >
> > I found there was an extra setting required:
> >
> > alr build -- -XTARGET=aarch64-apple-darwin21
> >
> > (find the correct setting by "gcc -v" and looking at the "Target:" line).
> Hi Simon;
>
> So I guess it is fair to say that ALR depends on homebrew and ALR will not work at all if there is a dependency on some C headers or libraries that can only be provided by homebrew?
>
> Thanks,
> Ken

BTW, Simon, I am NOW using your ALR package. I am using the following build

alr --no-color build -- -XTARGET=arm64-apple-darwin22.6.0

 I was able to "alr get" and successfully build only eight of the alr packages that I was interested in.

ansiada_1.0.0_dc770a5a
apdf_6.0.0_7c3ce4e9
aunit_23.0.0_84ce7d0b
euler_tools_1.1.1_cf37e6f9
gnatcoll_23.0.0_29478a20
parse_args_0.9.0_635f9e4f
stephes_ada_library_3.7.2_2b6a88f9
xmlada_23.0.0_70494123

Either the get failed or the compile failed.  I'll assume that virtually all of those "get" failures are due to lack of a homebrew installation.

I have MANY MacPorts port packages installed which I like very much.

It seems clear that MacPorts and homebrew are not compatible (especially if building packages using either or both of them).

BTW: mathpaqs failed to build due to "digits value out of range, maximum is 15".

Thanks,
Ken