* Advice on A Version of Linux Needed.
@ 2017-07-20  9:45 Austin Obyrne
From: Austin Obyrne @ 2017-07-20  9:45 UTC (permalink / raw)

Could I ask some kind person to suggest a version of Linux that strongly supports programmimg in Ada, ideally one that has a special editor like say KDE's IDE or similar.  I will be guided by your experience of any editor however.

I have been using AdaGide in Windows_7 up to now to create ciphers but I need to become more accommodating to other users with some ciphers I have developed in Ada-95 using a very old compiler i.e.Gnat 311.p

Thanks in anticipation of your usual help.

adacrypt

* Re: Advice on A Version of Linux Needed.
@ 2017-07-20 10:00 ` MM
From: MM @ 2017-07-20 10:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday, 20 July 2017 10:45:29 UTC+1, Austin Obyrne  wrote:
> Could I ask some kind person to suggest a version of Linux that strongly supports
> programmimg in Ada, ideally one that has a special editor like say KDE's IDE or similar.

This is a very personal choice like picking a car or holiday destination. However,
Ubuntu is popular, and the KUbuntu variant has KDE.

> I will be guided by your experience of any editor however.

Extremely personal choice here. If you know the KDE editor, then consider using
that with KUbuntu.

Eclipse is another good choice as it has more GIDE-type features, but the learning
curve is steep.

> I have been using AdaGide in Windows_7 up to now to create ciphers but I need to
> become more accommodating to other users with some ciphers I have developed
> in Ada-95 using a very old compiler i.e.Gnat 311.p

Good thinking! :-)

Once you know Eclipse, it will work well as a replacement.

> Thanks in anticipation of your usual help.

No problem!

* Re: Advice on A Version of Linux Needed.
@ 2017-07-20 10:11   ` Austin Obyrne
From: Austin Obyrne @ 2017-07-20 10:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday, July 20, 2017 at 11:01:00 AM UTC+1, MM wrote:
> On Thursday, 20 July 2017 10:45:29 UTC+1, Austin Obyrne  wrote:
> > Could I ask some kind person to suggest a version of Linux that strongly supports
> > programmimg in Ada, ideally one that has a special editor like say KDE's IDE or similar.
>
> This is a very personal choice like picking a car or holiday destination. However,
> Ubuntu is popular, and the KUbuntu variant has KDE.
>
> > I will be guided by your experience of any editor however.
>
> Extremely personal choice here. If you know the KDE editor, then consider using
> that with KUbuntu.
>
> Eclipse is another good choice as it has more GIDE-type features, but the learning
> curve is steep.
>
> > I have been using AdaGide in Windows_7 up to now to create ciphers but I need to
> > become more accommodating to other users with some ciphers I have developed
> > in Ada-95 using a very old compiler i.e.Gnat 311.p
>
> Good thinking! :-)
>
> Once you know Eclipse, it will work well as a replacement.
>
> > Thanks in anticipation of your usual help.
>
> No problem!

> --

Hi Mark,

I have no experinece of using KDE but it looks good on the" The Big Book of Linux Ada Programming" so I will probably go down the KUbuntu road initially.  I will also look at Eclipse and try that also.

I am truly grateful for your help here - Austin

* Re: Advice on A Version of Linux Needed.
@ 2017-07-20 11:43     ` MM
From: MM @ 2017-07-20 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday, 20 July 2017 11:11:34 UTC+1, Austin Obyrne  wrote:
> I am truly grateful for your help here - Austin

No problem.

* Re: Advice on A Version of Linux Needed.
@ 2017-07-20 15:46     ` Anh Vo
From: Anh Vo @ 2017-07-20 15:46 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday, July 20, 2017 at 3:11:34 AM UTC-7, Austin Obyrne wrote:
> I have no experinece of using KDE but it looks good on the" The Big Book of Linux Ada Programming" so I will probably go down the KUbuntu road initially.  I will also look at Eclipse and try that also.

I would suggest to use GPS. It is part of GNAT GPL distribution. I prefer GPS over Eclipse.

Anh Vo

* Re: Advice on A Version of Linux Needed.
@ 2017-07-20 18:50       ` Austin Obyrne
From: Austin Obyrne @ 2017-07-20 18:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Thursday, July 20, 2017 at 4:47:00 PM UTC+1, Anh Vo wrote:
> On Thursday, July 20, 2017 at 3:11:34 AM UTC-7, Austin Obyrne wrote:
> > I have no experinece of using KDE but it looks good on the" The Big Book of Linux Ada Programming" so I will probably go down the KUbuntu road initially.  I will also look at Eclipse and try that also.
>
> I would suggest to use GPS. It is part of GNAT GPL distribution. I prefer GPS over Eclipse.
>
> Anh Vo

Thanks Anh - Austin

* Re: Advice on A Version of Linux Needed.
@ 2017-07-21 10:01       ` Alejandro R. Mosteo
From: Alejandro R. Mosteo @ 2017-07-21 10:01 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 20/07/17 17:46, Anh Vo wrote:
> On Thursday, July 20, 2017 at 3:11:34 AM UTC-7, Austin Obyrne wrote:
>> I have no experinece of using KDE but it looks good on the" The Big Book of Linux Ada Programming" so I will probably go down the KUbuntu road initially.  I will also look at Eclipse and try that also.
>
> I would suggest to use GPS. It is part of GNAT GPL distribution. I prefer GPS over Eclipse.
>
> Anh Vo

Seconded here. GPS is Ada focused, while Eclipse is a behemoth with many
pitfalls. I wouldn't recommend it unless as a last resort (for any
language that I know).

* Re: Advice on A Version of Linux Needed.
@ 2017-07-21 13:52         ` MM
From: MM @ 2017-07-21 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday, 21 July 2017 11:01:10 UTC+1, Alejandro R. Mosteo  wrote:
> Seconded here. GPS is Ada focused, while Eclipse is a behemoth with many
> pitfalls. I wouldn't recommend it unless as a last resort (for any
> language that I know).

I'm looking at GPS. It's rather good.

* Re: Advice on A Version of Linux Needed.
@ 2017-07-22 11:28           ` Austin Obyrne
From: Austin Obyrne @ 2017-07-22 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Friday, July 21, 2017 at 2:52:34 PM UTC+1, MM wrote:
> On Friday, 21 July 2017 11:01:10 UTC+1, Alejandro R. Mosteo  wrote:
> > Seconded here. GPS is Ada focused, while Eclipse is a behemoth with many
> > pitfalls. I wouldn't recommend it unless as a last resort (for any
> > language that I know).
>
> I'm looking at GPS. It's rather good.

> --

I'm going down that road instead - Thank you everybody for your help - Austin O'Byrne