* Re: aflex and ayacc
@ 1992-12-19  4:00 Alex Blakemore
From: Alex Blakemore @ 1992-12-19  4:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <BzFqG1.HM6@NeoSoft.com> tjb@NeoSoft.com (Timothy J. Bogart) writes:
> How does one obtain aflex and ayacc from the University
> of California?  The reference I have only mentions where it
> is from with no contact information, etc.
>
> An ftp site would be nice.  Thanks!

the ftp site is liege.ics.uci.edu (internet address 128.195.1.5)
detailed info from Arcadia is attached below.

also, if you are using Meridian's compiler you will probably
trip across a compiler bug in each of aflex and ayacc. They are relatively
trivial to workaround - and Meridian has been notified.
I have patches but havent sent them to Arcadia yet,
if anyone needs them, send me mail & I'll forward them.
The patches to work around other compiler's bugs are generally included.
(wont it be nice when thats not an issue :)

and for those who want to really push aflex.
second - aflex in particular is a little hard to customize without
editing the generated output.  I have a version that makes it easier
to customize, reads 8K blocks using POSIX_IO instead of one char at a time
using Text_IO, preserves form feeds in the input stream and is alittle faster.
I havent submitted it anywhere public yet because I want to make a few more
improvements first, but ifyou or anyone else wants it, just ask.

Alex Blakemore alex@cs.umd.edu

----------------- cut here -----------------

 Copyright (c) 1990 Regents of the University of California.
 All rights reserved.

 This software was developed by the Arcadia project
 at the University of California, Irvine.

 Redistribution and use in source and binary forms are permitted
 provided that the above copyright notice and this paragraph are
 duplicated in all such forms and that any documentation,
 advertising materials, and other materials related to such
 distribution and use acknowledge that the software was developed
 by the University of California, Irvine.  The name of the
 University may not be used to endorse or promote products derived
 from this software without specific prior written permission.
 THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED ``AS IS'' AND WITHOUT ANY EXPRESS OR
 IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, THE IMPLIED
 WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTIBILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE.

This is the IRUS (Irvine Research Unit in Software) aflex/ayacc public
distribution.  Aflex and ayacc are similar to the Unix tools lex and
yacc, but they are written in Ada and generate Ada output.  They were
developed by the Arcadia Project at the University of California,
Irvine.  Aflex is based on the tool 'flex' written by Vern Paxson.
These tools are copyrighted, but are freely redistributable.  There is
no warranty of any kind (see the copyright notice above.)  However we
do ask that you report any problems you encounter as we use these
tools ourselves and we want to fix any bugs that are found.

You may give this software to others, but we prefer that those who can
get it directly from us to insure that all users are running the
latest version.  We also ask that you send electronic mail to the
address irus-software-request@ics.uci.edu giving your name, your
organization, a paper mail address, and your e-mail address (either an
Internet address or a UUCP path relative to a well-known site such as
uunet.)  A form is provided below for your convenience.  We will use
this information to set up a mailing list to announce new versions of
aflex and ayacc, as well as new software that is expected to be made
available.

The distribution is currently available on the machine
liege.ics.uci.edu in ~ftp/pub/irus/aflex-ayacc_1.1.tar.Z.  Full
instructions for retrieving and unpacking are enclosed below.  If you
have trouble retrieving or unpacking the distribution send mail to
irus-software-request@ics.uci.edu (or via UUCP to
uunet!sdcsvax!ucivax!irus-software-request) If you have trouble with
the tools information on how to report bugs is present within their
directories.

------------------------------- cut here -------------------------------
IRUS software user registration form

1. Your Name:

2. Your Organization:

3. Mailing Address:

4. E-mail address for contact person:

------------------------------- cut here -------------------------------
How to obtain aflex and ayacc via anonymous FTP

1.  FTP to the machine liege.ics.uci.edu (internet address 128.195.1.5)

2.  When asked for a username use 'anonymous'

3.  When asked for a password use your username on your local machine.

4.  Change directory (cd) into the pub/irus directory.

5.  Set a file transfer mode that will allow you to transfer binary
    files.  One way to do this that usually works is to issue the
    command 'type tenex'

6.  Type the command 'get aflex-ayacc_1.1.tar.Z'

7.  Quit FTP.

8.  You now have a compressed tar file containing the source for aflex.

9.  You need to uncompress the file by typing
    'uncompress aflex-ayacc_1.1.tar.Z'

10. Now untar the file to create the source and documentation tree by
    typing 'tar xvf aflex-ayacc_1.1.tar' at the Unix prompt.

11. Read the README files in the aflex/README and ayacc/src/READ_ME to
    find out how to compile the tools.  If you are using the Verdix Ada
    Developemnt System Version 6 be sure to read the VADS6.README files
    in the aflex and ayacc directories before building them.

Alex Blakemore alex@cs.umd.edu   NeXT mail accepted

* aflex and ayacc
@ 1996-06-11  0:00 Nigel J. Tracey
From: Nigel J. Tracey @ 1996-06-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Can anyone tell me where to find a version of aflex and ayacc
to compile with GNAT 3.04. Better still a binary version for
Linux (ELF) would be great. I have found other versions
coded in Ada, but I cannot work out how to compile them with
GNAT. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

        Nigel.

(e-mail replies preferred)

--------------------
Nigel J. Tracey, Research Associate (High Integrisity Systems Group).
Department of Computer Science,
University of York,                      Tel   : (01904) 434732
York, England.                           e-mail: njt-a@minster.york.ac.uk

* Re: aflex and ayacc
@ 1996-06-12  0:00 ` steved
From: steved @ 1996-06-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In <834516290.4@cs.york.ac.uk>, njt@minster.york.ac.uk (Nigel J. Tracey) writes:
>Can anyone tell me where to find a version of aflex and ayacc
>to compile with GNAT 3.04. Better still a binary version for
>Linux (ELF) would be great. I have found other versions
>coded in Ada, but I cannot work out how to compile them with
>GNAT. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

What a coincidence, I had the same problem a couple of days ago.
The answer I found was:
  aflex/ayacc was at -

    liege.ics.uci.edu/ftp/pub/irus/aflex-ayacc-1.4.tar.Z

in the same directory were the files:

   aflex_gnat_beta.tar.Z
   ayacc_gnat_beta.tar.Z

I unpacked the aflex-ayacc archive first, then ran gnatchop on all of
the sources for aflex and ayacc.  Then I unpacked the gnat beta's in
the respective source directories and ran gnatmake on aflex and ayacc.

All went without a hitch.
Hope this helps,

Steve Doiel

@ 1996-06-12  0:00 ` D. Scott Urban
From: D. Scott Urban @ 1996-06-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <834516290.4@cs.york.ac.uk>, njt@minster.york.ac.uk (Nigel J.
Tracey) wrote:

> Can anyone tell me where to find a version of aflex and ayacc
> to compile with GNAT 3.04. Better still a binary version for
> Linux (ELF) would be great. I have found other versions
> coded in Ada, but I cannot work out how to compile them with
> GNAT. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

They can be downloaded from the following ftp site.

     liege.ics.uci.edu.

They are located in the /pub/irus directory.

--
D. Scott Urban email: urban@t4rta-gw.den.mmc.com
To be the person, you must know the person. To know the person, you must understand the person. To understand the person, you must listen to the person. To listen, you must open your mind, forget all preconceived ideas and notions.

* Re: aflex and ayacc
@ 1996-06-13  0:00   ` Mike Young
From: Mike Young @ 1996-06-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Steve Doiel wrote:

>   aflex/ayacc was at -
>
>     liege.ics.uci.edu/ftp/pub/irus/aflex-ayacc-1.4.tar.Z

========
Is anyone successfully using aflex/ayacc on Windows NT? The distribution
compiled fine using GNAT 3.04a1 (for Win32), but aflex bombs out with an
exception, and ayacc produces files that won't compile. The same
distribution compiles and works flawlessly in Linux with GNAT 3.04 elf.
I haven't yet tried compiling in NT the stuff generated in Linux.

Mike.

* Re: AFLEX and AYACC
@ 2000-03-31  0:00 ` Daniel Wengelin
From: Daniel Wengelin @ 2000-03-31  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Check on http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/pascal_obry/contrib.html.

Daniel

James Squire wrote:

> At the Arcadia ftp site I still see a date of 1995 on the ayacc and
> aflex NT versions, and the word "beta" in the name.  Is this still all
> the further anyone has gotten on this, or has someone completed the
> port?
>
> Thanks.
> --
> James Squire             Send my Spam to mailto:webmaster@cyberpromo.com
> MDA^H^H^HBoeing St. Louis                          http://www.boeing.com
> Opinions expressed here are my own and NOT my company's
> "I never knew you could be so devious, Commander."
> 'Coming from you, Ambassador, that's a real compliment.'
>         -- G'Kar and Sinclair, "Born to the Purple"

* AFLEX and AYACC
@ 2000-03-31  0:00 James Squire
From: James Squire @ 2000-03-31  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

@ 2000-03-31  0:00   ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2000-03-31  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Daniel Wengelin a �crit dans le message
<38E47D42.1693E30A@celsiustech.se>...
>Check on http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/pascal_obry/contrib.html.

Actually as I have moved you should check on

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/pascal.obry/contrib.html

The page on Compuserve is still there but not for long so please update
your bookmark :)

Pascal.

--|

* aflex and ayacc
@ 2000-04-27  0:00 Charles E. Bortle, Jr.
From: Charles E. Bortle, Jr. @ 2000-04-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello,

Can someone tell me where I can download
aflex and ayacc?

--
Charles          cbrtjr@ix.netcom.com
"For God So Loved The World, That He Gave His

* Re: aflex and ayacc
@ 2000-04-27  0:00 ` Pascal Obry
From: Pascal Obry @ 2000-04-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Charles E. Bortle, Jr. a �crit dans le message
<8e93ag$nnj$1@slb3.atl.mindspring.net>...

>Can someone tell me where I can download
>aflex and ayacc?

A port for GNAT is available on my homepage.

From: Charles E. Bortle, Jr. @ 2000-04-27  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)