From: 0004238973@MCIMAIL.COM (Frank Pappas)
Subject: AdaZ
Date: 5 Dec 90 20:59:00 GMT	[thread overview]

real. If any PC Ada compiler deserves to be called ``Turbo'' Ada, its
AdaZ. It's not perfect.  There's a few minor things that I think need
fixing, but nothing that would prevent me from strongly recommending
it. And I can say this after having reviewed every PC Ada Compiler on
the market. (If you read the review I wrote for PC Week, AdaZ is what
Merdian was originally calling Reach.)

  Consider what you get for $149:

     - real mode Ada compiler.
     - optimizer.
     - mainframe-like debugger.
     - the best and most complete DOS interface libraries I've seen.
     - a utility library: includes command line args, bit operations,
       peek and poke operations, and the Text_Handler package from
       section 7.6 of the LRM.
     - graphics utilities package (SOURCE INCLUDED): includes support
       for windows, graphs, circles, ellipses, lines, and rectangles.
     - generic package (SOURCE INCLUDED) of elementary functions: based
       SIGAda Numerics Working Group proposal.
     - spiral bound copy of the RM.
     - pragma INTERFACE: supports Microsoft's C and MASM.
     - pragma INLINE implemented.
     - machine code inserts.
     - good implementation of Chapter 13
     - tasking: supports preemption and time-slicing

If that's not enough, you get Meridian's Ada compilation environment
(ACE). This is an editor that provides:

     - 10 user windows
     - customizable Ada structured editor.
     - general purpose editor with
         o word processing capabilties
         o UNIX like search and replace
         o line drawing capabilities
         o editor macros
         o much more
     - hypertext help
     - hypertext Ada LRM
     - access to the compiler tools
     - customization of the environment, key assignments, and default
       compiler options

As to the code, it's good enough for anyone that wants to develop
real mode DOS applications.

  If you know someone who needs an Ada compiler for training purposes
or who just wants to find out what this A-D-A language is all about,
recommend AdaZ to them. This compiler will make a favorable first
impression on new Ada users, and that's important!

  I think Meridian deserves lots of credit for introducing AdaZ at
such a reasonable price. Obviously there's something in it for them.
I'm sure they're trying to build a customer base that will eventually
move up to their 286 version. Just the same, this is something that
should help make Ada much more widely available and understood. Maybe
if Merdian gets a big enough response, the price will stay at $149.