* Questions on new John McCormick book
@ 2011-02-05 12:57 Marco
From: Marco @ 2011-02-05 12:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Chapter 2 of the book "Building Parallel, Embedded, and Real-Time
Applications with Ada" by McCormick, Singhoff, and Hugues includes a
long section on low level programming with Ada.  It covers both memory
mapped and port I/O architectures.  We develop polling and interrupt
based device drivers.  Everything is done using high level Ada
abstractions for low level features.  It includes a small amount of
machine code insertion.  We just turned in the final page proofs and
expect to have hard oopy by April. "

1) Will this cover Ada 95 as well as 2005?
2) Do you cover some non-Intel x86 HW?
3) Will it be sold in the USA?

* Re: Questions on new John McCormick book
@ 2011-02-06 14:12 ` John McCormick
From: John McCormick @ 2011-02-06 14:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

> 1) Will this cover Ada 95 as well as 2005?

Yes

> 2) Do you cover some non-Intel x86 HW?

Very little SPECIFIC hardware is covered. The only hardware specific
topic is an example of inserting x86 machine code.

> 3) Will it be sold in the USA?

Yes

* Re: Questions on new John McCormick book
@ 2011-02-07 18:19 ` Martyn Pike
From: Martyn Pike @ 2011-02-07 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Definately looking forward to the publication of this title.

* Re: Questions on new John McCormick book
@ 2011-02-08 11:08   ` Mark Lorenzen
From: Mark Lorenzen @ 2011-02-08 11:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 7 Feb., 19:19, Martyn Pike <martyn at emconuk dot com> wrote:
> Definately looking forward to the publication of this title.

Me too. Amazon UK has it on sale (not pre-order) already now. Can
someone confirm that the book is available or is it an error on
Amazon's side?

- Mark L

* Re: Questions on new John McCormick book
@ 2011-02-08 15:33     ` KK6GM
From: KK6GM @ 2011-02-08 15:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Feb 8, 3:08 am, Mark Lorenzen <mark.loren...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7 Feb., 19:19, Martyn Pike <martyn at emconuk dot com> wrote:
>
> > Definately looking forward to the publication of this title.
>
> Me too. Amazon UK has it on sale (not pre-order) already now. Can
> someone confirm that the book is available or is it an error on
> Amazon's side?

Says "30 April 2011" under Product details

Interestingly, the price is $61 (38 GBP) vs $90 on the US Amazon.

* Re: Questions on new John McCormick book
@ 2011-02-08 20:43     ` Martyn Pike
From: Martyn Pike @ 2011-02-08 20:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2011-02-08 11:08:07 +0000, Mark Lorenzen said:

> On 7 Feb., 19:19, Martyn Pike <martyn at emconuk dot com> wrote:
>> Definately looking forward to the publication of this title.
>
> Me too. Amazon UK has it on sale (not pre-order) already now. Can
> someone confirm that the book is available or is it an error on
> Amazon's side?
>
> - Mark L

Usually dispatched within 9 to 12 days does indeed imply it is released
yet the 30th April date presents a contradiction.  I am gonna order it
and see what happens !

* Re: Questions on new John McCormick book
@ 2011-02-08 20:56     ` Martin
From: Martin @ 2011-02-08 20:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Feb 8, 11:08 am, Mark Lorenzen <mark.loren...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 7 Feb., 19:19, Martyn Pike <martyn at emconuk dot com> wrote:
>
> > Definately looking forward to the publication of this title.
>
> Me too. Amazon UK has it on sale (not pre-order) already now. Can
> someone confirm that the book is available or is it an error on
> Amazon's side?
>
> - Mark L

I ordered it a couple of days ago...will let you know! :-)

-- Martin

* Re: Questions on new John McCormick book
@ 2011-02-09  0:16       ` Shark8
From: Shark8 @ 2011-02-09  0:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Feb 8, 8:33 am, KK6GM <mjsi...@scriptoriumdesigns.com> wrote:
> On Feb 8, 3:08 am, Mark Lorenzen <mark.loren...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On 7 Feb., 19:19, Martyn Pike <martyn at emconuk dot com> wrote:
>
> > > Definately looking forward to the publication of this title.
>
> > Me too. Amazon UK has it on sale (not pre-order) already now. Can
> > someone confirm that the book is available or is it an error on
> > Amazon's side?
>
> Says "30 April 2011" under Product details
>
> Interestingly, the price is $61 (38 GBP) vs $90 on the US Amazon.

It's $70 from Barns & Noble.

* Re: Questions on new John McCormick book
@ 2011-02-09 19:23       ` Martyn Pike
From: Martyn Pike @ 2011-02-09 19:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 2011-02-08 20:56:59 +0000, Martin said:

> On Feb 8, 11:08�am, Mark Lorenzen <mark.loren...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 7 Feb., 19:19, Martyn Pike <martyn at emconuk dot com> wrote:
>>
>>> Definately looking forward to the publication of this title.
>>
>> Me too. Amazon UK has it on sale (not pre-order) already now. Can
>> someone confirm that the book is available or is it an error on
>> Amazon's side?
>>
>> - Mark L
>
> I ordered it a couple of days ago...will let you know! :-)
>
> -- Martin

John McCormick ( on another thread ) says they have only just handed
the final proofs and hope to have hard copy in April.  I will be be
interested to see what amazon say now !

* Re: Questions on new John McCormick book
@ 2011-02-09 21:59         ` John McCormick
From: John McCormick @ 2011-02-09 21:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Feb 9, 1:23 pm, Martyn Pike <martyn at emconuk dot com> wrote:

> John McCormick ( on another thread ) says they have only just handed
> the final proofs and hope to have hard copy in April.  I will be be
> interested to see what amazon say now !

Indeed!  If anyone finds a copy earlier they can let me know so I can
get one :)  I think that April is realistic.  I do appreciate all of
the excitment generated in this thread.  Frank, Jérôme, and I hope our
work justifies it. This semester is the second time students in my
real-time embedded systems class have used the manuscript.  The first
group did a good job telling me where we needed to improve our
explanations.  Authors learn a lot from novices.  The second group
hasn't made any suggestions (yet) so maybe we got it right.

John

* Re: Questions on new John McCormick book
@ 2011-02-09 23:19           ` Bill Findlay
From: Bill Findlay @ 2011-02-09 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 09/02/2011 21:59, in article
98aaaef9-65b3-4738-afcb-2a39c53c0ea3@e9g2000vbi.googlegroups.com, "John
McCormick" <mccormick@cs.uni.edu> wrote:

> Indeed!  If anyone finds a copy earlier they can let me know so I can
> get one :)  I think that April is realistic.  I do appreciate all of
> the excitment generated in this thread.

I'm sure it's deserved.
Does the book cover any Ada 2012 innovations?

--
Bill Findlay
with blueyonder.co.uk;

* Re: Questions on new John McCormick book
@ 2011-02-10  1:14           ` Shark8
From: Shark8 @ 2011-02-10  1:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Feb 9, 2:59 pm, John McCormick <mccorm...@cs.uni.edu> wrote:
> On Feb 9, 1:23 pm, Martyn Pike <martyn at emconuk dot com> wrote:
>

> > John McCormick ( on another thread ) says they have only just handed
> > the final proofs and hope to have hard copy in April.  I will be be
> > interested to see what amazon say now !
>
> Indeed!  If anyone finds a copy earlier they can let me know so I can
> get one :)  I think that April is realistic.  I do appreciate all of
> the excitment generated in this thread.  Frank, Jérôme, and I hope our
> work justifies it. This semester is the second time students in my
> real-time embedded systems class have used the manuscript.  The first
> group did a good job telling me where we needed to improve our
> explanations.  Authors learn a lot from novices.  The second group
> hasn't made any suggestions (yet) so maybe we got it right.
>
> John

I'm looking forward to getting it; but I might not be able to when
it's
"hot off the presses."

* Re: Questions on new John McCormick book
@ 2011-02-10 12:21             ` John McCormick
From: John McCormick @ 2011-02-10 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Feb 9, 5:19 pm, Bill Findlay <n...@findlayw.plus.com> wrote:
> Does the book cover any Ada 2012 innovations?

No.

* Re: Questions on new John McCormick book
@ 2011-02-10 15:50               ` Bill Findlay
From: Bill Findlay @ 2011-02-10 15:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 10/02/2011 12:21, in article
61b482f2-7173-4071-83ec-05cb2a08d5ea@z27g2000prz.googlegroups.com, "John
McCormick" <mccormick@cs.uni.edu> wrote:

> On Feb 9, 5:19�pm, Bill Findlay <n...@findlayw.plus.com> wrote:
>> Does the book cover any Ada 2012 innovations?
>
> No.

So when's the 2nd edition coming out? 8-)

--
Bill Findlay
with blueyonder.co.uk;