* More fun stuff about Cobol
@ 1987-08-25 17:33 Dale Worley
From: Dale Worley @ 1987-08-25 17:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

I believe that Grace Hopper has been promoted to Commodore, up from
Captain.

Cobol has been used for non-numerical work.  One early compiler (from
Hopper's shop) was written in Cobol in the early 50s.

Hopper, in order to prove that non-numerical programming was
*possible*, wrote a symbolic differentiation program.  One person this
was demonstrated to accused her of having a human feeding the results
into the program by a back door!  (This is likely to have been well
before compilers were written, but perhaps not...)

The original Cobol project was an attempt to put together a subset of
English that would allow non-programmers to program computers, thus
eliminating professional programmers.  Halfway through, it was
realized that this was impossible, so they changed the goal to produce
a programming language that could be read by a non-programmer.  Thus,
the project that started out to eliminate programmers produced the
language that 70-80% of all programmers work in!  (ref Perlis's
article in CACM blasting 'Star Wars')

Dale
--
Dale Worley    Cullinet Software      ARPA: cullvax!drw@eddie.mit.edu
UUCP: ...!seismo!harvard!mit-eddie!cullvax!drw

* More fun stuff about Cobol
@ 1987-08-27 15:22 Dale Worley
From: Dale Worley @ 1987-08-27 15:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

dgary@ecsvax.UUCP (D Gary Grady) writes:
> Hopper was indeed promoted to Commodore.  I believe the Navy recently
> got rid of the rank of Commodore again, returning to the strange
> practice of several years ago that lumps O-7s (= Brig Gen in the other
> services) and O-8s (= Major Gen) together as Rear Admirals, lower and
> upper half.

Someone explained to me that for a while the Navy didn't have O-7s at
all, which caused problems because the big jump from O-6 to O-8 was hard
to make.  So they re-instituted Commodores, but that sounded wimpyer
than Brig. Gen.  They finally make O-7s a form of Admiral, so the set
of ranks labelled Admiral would be the same as the set labelled
General.

Dale