* Re: How  do I do I/O with GNAT?
       [not found] <343c5e2d.2978487@news.mindspring.com>
@ 1997-10-08  0:00 ` Matthew Heaney
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Matthew Heaney @ 1997-10-08  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <343c5e2d.2978487@news.mindspring.com>, spamsux@mindspring.com
(Herman) wrote:

>Specifically, I need to read characters from a text file.  How do I do
>this?

The nature of your question leads one to believe that you are new to Ada.
Before posting basic questions like this on comp.lang.ada, it is strongly
recommended that you

1) consult your professor or her teaching assistent for help, if you are a
student

2) visit the Ada home page or the Ada Information Clearinghouse, where
you'll find lots o' cool stuff and many useful links.

<http://www.adahome.com>
<http://sw-eng.falls-church.va.us/AdaIC/>

3) take a tutorial, such as Lovelace or AdaTutr

<http://www.adahome.com/Tutorials/Lovelace/lovelace.htm>
<http://wuarchive.wustl.edu/languages/ada/crsware/a9xtutor/>

The link at the Ada home is <http://www.adahome.com/Tutorials/>.

4) read the Ada FAQs, especially the one about learning Ada:

There's one for learning Ada:
<http://www.adahome.com/FAQ/learning.html#title>

There's one for comp.lang.ada:
<http://www.adahome.com/FAQ/comp-lang-ada.html#title>

There's one for programming in Ada:
<http://www.adahome.com/FAQ/programming.html#title>

The link at the Ada home is <http://www.adahome.com/FAQ/>.

5) read a textbook

Here's a link (from the Learning Ada FAQ) to a list, complete with reviews.
<http://www.adahome.com/FAQ/learning.html#ada95>

You are admonished to use this newsgroup for more substantive questions.

Matthew Heaney
Software Development Consultant
<mailto:matthew_heaney@acm.org>
(818) 985-1271

* Re: How  do I do I/O with GNAT?
       [not found] <343c5e2d.2978487@news.mindspring.com>
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1997-10-09  0:00 ` Nasser
From: Nasser @ 1997-10-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <343c5e2d.2978487@news.mindspring.com>, spamsux@mindspring.com
says...

>Specifically, I need to read characters from a text file.  How do I do
>this?

The best thing to do is to get hold of the RM, look up the packages
dealing with IO, look at what functions are in these packages, you will
find the functions you need right there.

don't leave home without the RM.

Nasser

@ 1997-10-09  0:00 ` Kenneth W. Sodemann
From: Kenneth W. Sodemann @ 1997-10-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Herman wrote in message <343c5e2d.2978487@news.mindspring.com>...

>Specifically, I need to read characters from a text file.  How do I do
>this?

Several options here:

1.)  Get the RM on some media (a HTML version if available at
http://www.adahome.com or http://info.acm.org/sigada/).  Look for Text_Io in
the index.  Read those sections.

2.)  Look at any of the online tutorials for Ada (again, go to
http://www.adahome.com or http://info.acm.org/sigada/ for more information).

3.)  Look in almost any Ada book, especially introductory ones.

--
with Std_Disclaimer;  use Std_Disclaimer;
Signature.Put (Name => Ken Sodemann,

From: Kenneth W. Sodemann @ 1997-10-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)