From: "Kenneth W. Sodemann" <kwsodema@avistainc.com>
Subject: Re: GNAT documentation question
Date: 1997/10/08
Date: 1997-10-08T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Larry Kilgallen wrote in message <1997Oct8.122433.1@eisner>...
>dIn
>article <343ba5ba.1354247@news.mindspring.com>, spamsux@mindspring.com
(Herman) writes:
>> I know where it is, but it's a tar.gz file.  What in the world do I
>> use in Windows 95 to open it?
>
>Check your software that does Zip :-)

Two options off the top of my head:

1.)  Go to the Cygnus site.  They have a collection of UNIX utilities that
have been ported to Win32.  You can find information about this at:
http://www.cygnus.com/techie/ by clicking on "The GNU-Win32 Project".

Download the user tools, run the install, and then be sure to add the proper
directories to your path.

This solution has the advantage that it is free.  The easiest way to unpack
your file then (assuming that your file is currently called filename.tar.gz)
would be to do the following:
    gzip -d filename.tar.gz
    tar xvf filename.tar
There is a way to pipe these together, thus keeping the original .gz file
compressed, but I cannot remember what it is off the top of my head.

2.)  Get WinZip from http://www.winzip.com.  This has the advantage of being
dirt simple to use.  It has the disadvantage that if you want to continue
using it beyond the evaluation period, you really should pay for it.

Hope this helps.

--
with Std_Disclaimer;  use Std_Disclaimer;
Signature.Put (Name => Ken Sodemann,