From: Dimonax <dimonax@nospam.net>
Subject: Re: Immutable and Transient Objects and GC?
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 21:50:58 GMT
Date: 2009-03-18T21:50:58+00:00	[thread overview]

On Wed, 18 Mar 2009 14:32:55 -0700, Maciej Sobczak wrote:

> In other words, if the given object *happens* to be immutable as a
> result of the problem analysis and this fact can help with concurrency,
> then it is a worthy coincidence; but when immutability of objects is
> *imposed* in order to solve some unrelated concurrency (or other)
> issues, then it is just a design distortion.

Good point.

However, what about Transient Objects, which seem to be pretty much the
inverse of Immutable Objects. Ala Forth

They make sense for a lot of data structures, particulary sequential
structures like stacks, queues, etc...
Thier property of being immediately freed upon thier first access means
that I can make a lot of optimizations that arent available to regular
data types.

Freejack