From: Jerry <lanceboyle@qwest.net>
Subject: Re: c2ada bug report filed
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2011 21:45:40 -0700 (PDT)
Date: 2011-04-01T21:45:40-07:00	[thread overview]

On Mar 30, 1:03 pm, Simon Wright <si...@pushface.org> wrote:
> Simon Wright <si...@pushface.org> writes:
> > Jerry <lancebo...@qwest.net> writes:
>
> >> I made a bug report for c2ada at
> >>http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&aid=3259603&group_id=2035...
>
> >> This isn't  super important but I was going to try to use it to
> >> convert a 900-line C example file for the PLplot project.
>
> >> I was trying to build on OS X 10.6.6 and ran into C errors relating to
> >> undeclared variables.
>
> > SF changed its wiki software a while back, with the result that the
> > c2ada web site is now very uninformative.
>
> > You should be using the 'portability' branch:
>
> > * go to branches/portability in your checkout
> > * edit setup (you'll need to change the Python version, at least)
> > * ./setup
> > * make
>
> > Bets of luck!
>
>   ^^^^
>   Best (of course).
>
> I've now merged the portability branch back into trunk, and updated
> setup so it chooses Python 2.6. Builds OK here (10.6.7, XCode 3.2.6).
>
> I've restored the wiki content, but have yet to make it the standard
> home page (and there are still bits of it I don't understand; it got
> majorly mangled somewhere along the line before I got hold of it).

Thanks for the updates, Simon.

I don't expect much handholding here but I thought that I should at
least report my results.

I updated my system to OS X 10.6.7 and Xcode to 3.2.6.

After downloading c2ada from SVN, rev 23, I cd-ed to the distribution
directory and built by ./setup and make which created c2ada. I then
ran c2ada (still cd-ed to the distribution dir) on two very small C
programs in another directory. The first one

int main(void)
{
    int a;
    a = 1;
    return 0;
}

resulted in a useful Ada package. However, the second one

#include <stdio.h>
int main(void)
{
    printf("Hello World\n");
    return 0;
}

resulted in just a skeleton Ada package with no useful lines. (Other
files were also created.) The terminal output had a few lines that
looked troublesome. I tried with -I/usr/include which is where stdio.h
is stored but it made no difference in the output, at least with
respect to the corresponding Ada package.

Jerry