From: rsd@sei.cmu.edu (Richard S D'Ippolito)
Subject: Re: Use of "C/Ada" -- the C dialect of Ada
Date: 19 Feb 90 16:46:04 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <18340.635014153@chance> munck@mwunix.mitre.org writes:

>We've all run into "FORTRAN/Ada" or "JOVIAL/Ada" in which FORTRAN or
>JOVIAL programmers forced to use Ada continue to write their "native
>language" but using the Ada equivalent and syntax.  It's usually
>worth the derision we give it.
>
>HOWEVER, I've run into a project of significant importance and cost in
>which the grunt programmers simply cannot, for reasons of contracting,
>schedule, and cost, be taught Ada the way we like to do it: teaching
>software engineering principles and incidentally using Ada.  We're stuck
>with C programmers and no option if the development schedule is to be
>met.  The system is one that will undergo significant updating during
>its entire lifetime, maybe changing 25% of the code every year for
>several decades AFTER INITIAL DELIVERY.

Forget the languages -- plug in any two of your choice.  I can't conceive
that under these circumstances that there will be a good design, that is,
one allowing an economic change of 25% of it every year.  The likelihood of
engineering a good product under such circumstances as you describe seems
quite remote, if not entirely ludicrous.  No SPO with his head on should
have ever contracted for such a thing, and no contractor in an ethical mind
should have ever accepted!

However, I'm willing (and hopeful, as this seems like a waste of taxpayer
money) to be convinced that I'm the one who is crazy.  Is there something
you haven't told us?

Rich
--
Hitting baseballs and writing software are two professions where you can
become a millionare with a 75% performance failure rate.