From: len@array.UUCP (Leonard Vanek)
Subject: Re: Use of "is separate" and compilatio
Date: 1 Dec 89 18:29:41 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <3076@cbnewsl.ATT.COM> arny@cbnewsl.ATT.COM (arny.b.engelson,wh,) writes:
>In article <20600021@inmet> stt@inmet.inmet.com writes:

>The visibility of the subunit doesn't change by integrating it into
>the parent.  If proper scoping of declarations is done (i.e. only what
>really should be visible is visible), I don't see the problem.

>>     subunits cause havoc with sophisticated optimizers,
>>especially subunits within subprograms.
>
>Again, if proper scope is maintained for variables, there should be very
>few that to which this would apply.

If "proper name scoping" is used to avoid the potential pitfalls of
subunits, how does the subunit differ substantially from a package?
I think that the alternative to subunits in this case is not to place
them in-line in the parent procedure or package, but to make them
packages in their own right. Why do we need to use the "is separate"
mechanism?
Leonard Vanek                  UUCP: ... uunet!attcan!lsuc!array!len
Array Systems Computing Inc.    or ... utzoo!dciem!array!len
5000 Dufferin St. Suite 200     or lsuc!array!len@ai.toronto.edu
Downsview, Ont. M3H 5T5        Phone: (416) 736-0900
Canada                         FAX:   (416) 736-4715