From: topmind <topmind@technologist.com>
Subject: Re: Am I "Overqualified"?
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2008 08:45:56 -0800 (PST)
Date: 2008-01-31T08:45:56-08:00	[thread overview]

On Jan 31, 12:21 am, ap...@student.open.ac.uk wrote:
> On 30 Jan, 21:43, topmind <topm...@technologist.com> wrote:
>

> > On Jan 30, 1:21 pm, Ed Berard <ed.ber...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Howdy Folks,
>
> > > It seems that lately, I have been turned down for an increasing number
> > > of assignments, because I am "overqualified."
>
> > > I have been doing a good deal of "architecture tasks," as in:
>
> > >    * product architecture
>
> > >    * product line architectures
>
> > >    * process architectures.
>
> > > I do tend towards the more formal "C&C" viewpoints. However, I don't
> > > think that this has much to do with my problem.
>
> > > If you want, you can chck my resume at the bottom of our home
> > > page:
>
> > >    http://www.toa.com
>
> > > Any constructive feedback would be greatly appreciated.
>
> > > Thanks.
>
> > >         -- Ed
>
> > That's a code-word for "too old" or "too expensive". Time to lie.
>
> > Welcome to IT in Amerika.
>
> I agree but this has nothing to do with America. The desire to pay a
> potential hire the minimum one can get away with is universal.
>
> It is time to remove most of your experience from your CV. Although I
> am a techie I have been involved in recruiting and I have seen (and
> had to work with) employers that say "he's over-qualified". I always
> argue against it but it is hard work.

This is part of the reason that it is suggested one tailor their
resume to a given position rather than use a generic one.  Just
include stuff that is relevant to their environment and snip out other
stuff or use very general summaries for such, especially if you've
been in the industry for a long time. For good or bad, the market does
NOT appreciate general IT development experience after about 7 years
out. After 7 years, they pretty much only care about specific tool
experience (unless maybe it is a quasi-management position).

-T-