From: kassover@pisces.crd.ge.com (David Kassover)
Subject: Re: Ada speed vs. C...
Date: 14 Mar 90 18:11:17 GMT	[thread overview]

In article <29483@amdcad.AMD.COM> tim@amd.com (Tim Olson) writes:
>In article <8347@hubcap.clemson.edu> wtwolfe@hubcap.clemson.edu (Bill Wolfe) writes:
>|           Sun/Unix 3.2 C on a Sun 3/160
>|           GreenHills C on ISI optimum V machine
>|           Gnu C on a Sun 3/160
>|           MASSCOMP C on RTU 3.1, NC-5700 machine

Benchmark programs ennable you to tell how fast the BENCHMARK
PROGRAM (not *your* application) will run on a particular
machine.

As far as I am concerned, the only valid comparison above is
between the first and third, since they were compiled and run on
the same machine.

And should be given strong weight iff your application is the
Dhrystone benchmark.

And furthermore, I suspect that there is more than one way to
code the function of the Dhrystone benchmark programs in Ada,
thus giving different instruction sequences for a given compiler.

Is an orange inherently better than an apple?  Perhaps, if all
you care about is Vitamin C.  On the other hand, if you need to
alleviate constipation...  :-)

Enough, Already!