From: "Dmitry A. Kazakov" <mailbox@dmitry-kazakov.de>
Subject: Re: One united Ada policy for all Linux distributions?
Date: Tue, 18 May 2010 14:16:54 +0200
Date: 2010-05-18T14:16:54+02:00	[thread overview]

On Tue, 18 May 2010 03:19:36 -0700 (PDT), Ludovic Brenta wrote:

> Dmitry A. Kazakov wrote on comp.lang.ada:

>> If we wanted to introduce versioning (coexistence in Debian policy terms?),
>> we could hang version suffixes on the gpr's directory, rather than on gpr
>> files. The suffix will follow GNAT releases.
>
> That would be too restrictive; it would not allow you to have e.g. two
> versions of a library with the same compiler.

Why? Each GNAT (gnatmake, gprbuild) would search its project directory
first. It should be no different from the way the standard library ads
files are handled - transparently to the user.

> This is no better than
> the GNAT GPL distribution as you noted.  So the versioning would have
> to use the aliversion in the names of the .gpr files, possibly with a
> versionless symlink to the default versioned project file, e.g.:
>
> /usr/share/ada/adainclude/gtkada2.14.2.gpr
> /usr/share/ada/adainclude/gtkada2.18.gpr
> /usr/share/ada/adainclude/gtkada.gpr -> gtkada2.14.2.gpr

That would mean version-dependent gpr files. This is what we have now. BTW,
it probably won't work, because the project name is checked against the
file name.

The idea is that the name of a gpr file never changes, so you do not need
to modify your gpr file each time a new gtkada version comes. You don't
need to modify it for another Linux.

--
Regards,
Dmitry A. Kazakov