* Re: Safety-critical development in Ada and Eiffel
@ 1997-07-17  0:00 Marin David Condic, 561.796.8997, M/S 731-96
From: Marin David Condic, 561.796.8997, M/S 731-96 @ 1997-07-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jean-Marc Jezequel <jezequel@IRISA.FR> writes:
>At the risk of repeating myself, and reopening a thread beaten to death,
>the all point of design by contract (DBC) is to
>make this kind of assumptions explicit. Ariane 5 is just a nice striking
>example
>of working with assumptions that are true at a point in time (Ariane 4) and no
>longer
>later on (Ariane 5). I think we agreed on this previously.
>
>To sum up your point, you think that DBC, i.e. expressing hidden assumptions
>with
>Eiffel-like assertions would not have been practicable in this case.
>Others think it would have...

    At the risk of butting in and helping to start the beaten-to-death
    thread once again...

    The Ariane software specifically and very deliberately *removed*
    the checks because of time constraints. Ada would have normally
    conducted the checks because of range constrainst. (Wouldn't help
    unless the programmer put in an exception handler) Eiffel could
    have performed the checks. (Assumes the programmer would have put
    in the assertions) One could even argue that C would have done the
    job in the hands of a "competent" C programmer who would have
    bothered to check the input parameters or create an ISR to handle
    the overflow.

    In this case, the language is *not* an issue and never was. It was
    an issue of the engineering decisions to deliberately remove the
    safety device combined with the management decision to reuse the
    software in a new environment without any additional testing.

    An associate of mine once said in the heat of a language war:
    "Languages don't kill people... Programmers do!" Yes, language
    features may support safety - but ultimately it's the programmer's
    job (manager's job?) to get it right.

    MDC

Marin David Condic, Senior Computer Engineer     ATT:        561.796.8997
Pratt & Whitney GESP, M/S 731-96, P.O.B. 109600  Fax:        561.796.4669
West Palm Beach, FL, 33410-9600                  Internet:   CONDICMA@PWFL.COM
    "A government that is big enough to give you all you want is big
    enough to take it all away."
        --  Barry Goldwater

* Re: Safety-critical development in Ada and Eiffel
@ 1997-07-18  0:00 Marin David Condic, 561.796.8997, M/S 731-96
From: Marin David Condic, 561.796.8997, M/S 731-96 @ 1997-07-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nick Leaton <nickle@CALFP.CO.UK> writes:
>Separate point. One of the valid objections that has been raised with
>assertions is question of execution time being different with them on
>from when they are off.
>
>From other posters, it seems that with life critical systems (avionics)
>that this is an important consideration. Am I the only one who finds
>this worrying, that systems you have to trust depend on some calculation
>as to how the program is going to run? What happens if a new compiler
>comes out that has a different optimisation technique?

    With lots of embedded systems, you're running near the limits of
    processor speed. This is especially true of deep space systems
    where the environment limits you to a very small set of processors
    & memory devices which are of very old design and run *real* slow
    in comparison to what is available today. Hence, you turn off all
    the runtime checks because you simply can't afford them. You
    compensate for this by careful software design and very rigorous
    testing across every condition you can imagine (or until the
    budget runs out or the schedule is shot ;-)

    Typically, when a critical computer such as an engine control or a
    navigation computer reaches the point where you're ready to go to
    flight certification, you freeze the compiler version. (Usually, a
    long time before you go for certification because you're
    verification can't be done against a moving target.) The compiler
    version (and a bunch of other stuff) is frozen for exactly the
    concern you express: "What if something were to change the code
    that is output when we recompile module X?"

    I don't know of any systems that are capable of enabling/disabling
    runtime checks dynamically, so if you compiled the code to perform
    the checks and it ran within its time budget, cool. If you can't
    run with checks enabled, you compile the code that way and it's
    not going to change in flight, so it won't suddenly and
    inexplicably jump up it's CPU utilization.

    With all these sort of systems, you shoot for a highly predictable
    performance behavior and it's not that hard to achieve if your
    execution model is appropriate. So relax - we won't accidentally
    shut down your critical flight control computer by uploading new
    code to it via Internet/Java scripts. :-)

From: Marin David Condic, 561.796.8997, M/S 731-96 @ 1997-07-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Samuel Mize <smize@LINK.COM> writes:
>Correct me if I'm wrong.
>
>My understanding from the previous threads was that there was
>a specific management decision to not consider Ariane 5
>requirements for the Ariane 4 INS design.  The check removal
>was reasonable in the Ariane 4 context.

    I read the report some time ago and memory fades - but my
    recollection is that they needed to gain some speed and decided to
    do so by removing the runtime checks. However, they performed an
    analysis first which indicated that across the entire Ariane 4
    flight profile, the routine could not see any numbers big enough
    to cause the error. The mistake was in accepting Ariane 4 code for
    Ariane 5 and *presuming* that it was going to work just fine
    without checking it out across the Ariane 5 flight profile.

>Now, Meyer et al. never stated outright that using Eiffel (or
>assertions) would have prevented the crash; they stated that
>using Design By Contract (DBC) would prevented the crash.

    Point taken. But it still seems to me that the software design was
    100% adequate in it's original context. (And the keyword here is
    "adequate" - "good enough" is not nearly so wonderful a thing a
    "perfect", but it's "good enough!") The mistake was to accept what
    was an adequate design in one context and presuming it would work
    fine without retesting it in the new environment. An analogy would
    be if I designed a wheel for a Honda Civic and then presumed
    (because wheels are wheels, right?) that I could mount the same
    wheel on a Lincoln Towncar. It might even work for a while until I
    took a really tight turn and the excess weight caused it to fail.
    Hence the fault was not with the design methodology - whatever
    methodology was originally used (including design by Ouija board,
    if you like) was *adequate* to produce a working product. The
    failure lies in the management decision - for which I'm sure
    someone caught some serious heck.

From: Marin David Condic, 561.796.8997, M/S 731-96 @ 1997-07-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Karel Thvnissen <thoenissen@HELLO.NL> writes:

>Richie's proposal has a nice property: if we include assertions during
>testing, then if the additional coding affects the timing in an unwanted
>way, then the timing assertion will fail and the problem is revealed. It
>should be clear that in that case the system cannot be tested with
>assertions switched on, and no logical assumptions as described by the
>other assertions can be tested, but at least we know it, and we shall
>have no suprises of unexplanable difference between testing (with
>assertions) and production (without assertions).

    It's a nice idea which, unfortunately can't be done. It's often
    not well understood by those who are mostly used to some version
    of workstation or pc based development why you can't test the code
    with compiler option X then recompile you're code with options A,
    B and C and pass it on as "production" software.

    You might do this for some form of "informal" testing - maybe what
    we took to calling "smoke testing". (Since all electronics works
    on the principle of smoke - if you let the smoke out, it stops
    working - the first test is to power it up and see if any smoke
    comes out.) Under those conditions, you could compile any way you
    like, find your problems, fix them and recompile for the "real"
    tests.

    Once you start any sort of formal verification for a safety
    critical system you cannot change any of the bits in the program
    image without having to reverify the image. How much
    reverification you do depends on lots of factors, but it's always
    very expensive and you don't do it lightly.

    One other thing you want to consider is this: If the code *can*
    run with runtime checks enabled, then you probably don't want to
    turn it off for "production" anyway. What do you gain? The only
    reason for turning it off is because it *can't* run with the
    checks on.

From: Marin David Condic, 561.796.8997, M/S 731-96 @ 1997-07-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Paul Johnson <paul.johnson@GECM.COM> writes:

>The thing is that in Eiffel the assertions are not just a run-time error
>detection mechanism, they are also a documentation and specification
>mechanism.  The Ada assertion was invisible because it was buried in the
>implementation of the routine that failed.  An equivalent Eiffel routine
>(if it were correct) would have had the assertion in its interface, and
>so on up to the top level of the software package under discussion.  So
>anyone reusing the package would have seen the assertion.  The Inquiry
>specifically commented that the Ada assertion was buried so deeply that
>it was effectively invisible to any review.

    Please correct me if I'm wrong. My understanding was that the code
    in question had explicitly turned off range checking on some of
    the parameters in question in the interest of performance. Without
    the range checking (and subsequent raising of Constraint_Error),
    what was left was a fixed point overflow interrupt - which was
    accommodated by turning off the channel and transferring control to
    the other side. Hence there was no "Ada assertion" as such because
    whatever safety features the language has had been disabled. Sort
    of like driving with your seat belt unfastened.

    (This is why I conclude that Eiffel wouldn't have saved the day
    because the developers would have turned off assertions here as
    well. Is the last of my memory fading? Am I entering the
    springtime of my senility? Or am I remembering correctly?)

@ 1997-07-21  0:00 Marin David Condic, 561.796.8997, M/S 731-96
From: Marin David Condic, 561.796.8997, M/S 731-96 @ 1997-07-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ken Garlington <kennieg@FLASH.NET> writes:
>> Depends on the application.  Generally they print an error report, dump
>> stack information to a file, and ask the user to phone the vendor.  Note
>> that I am not proposing this for real-time embedded applications.  However
>> there are safety-critical applications which are not real-time.
>
>True. Furthermore, there are safety-critical real-time applications that
>are not required to be fail-operational. In both cases, I can at least
>see
>the glimmer of hope that assertions might have some value. (However,
>even
>a non-real-time system monitoring a nuclear power plant, for example,
>might
>not want to print out a message saying "phone the vendor, and I hope the
>reactor doesn't go supercritical while you're on hold :)
>
>However, for _at least_ certain classes of safety-critical systems, this
>behavior is completely unacceptable. Unfortunately, most people who
>advocate
>liberal use of exceptions are working on systems where it is quite
>acceptable.

    Well, here's one way of dealing with exceptions in a real-time
    safety critical application:

    If you have a control loop executing code, say, every 5mSec,
    sensing some inputs and doing some loop closure, you know by the
    rules of Ada that there are some exception possibilities you can't
    disable. Hence they could be raised by code beyond your control.
    You insert an exception handler in the loop to catch any of these,
    possibly logging them for telemetry (or at least ticking off a
    counter somewhere so you know it happened in lab testing!) then
    allow the loop to restart.

    What you're saying is this: "On pass N everything was fine. On
    pass N+1, something went haywire and interrupted normal execution.
    Because quitting operation is not an acceptable alternative, what
    I'm betting on is that on pass N+2, the problem will clear
    itself."

    This would potentially give you a viable use for raising
    exceptions on the fly. Granted, you wouldn't do this for any sort
    of expected conditions with planned for accommodations, but
    strictly for those sorts of errors that should never occur, but
    might just do so anyway. Your accommodation at that point might be
    something like resetting all of memory to its initial state and
    hoping that the next batch of inputs gets you back to where you
    should be.

    MDC

Marin David Condic, Senior Computer Engineer     ATT:        561.796.8997
Pratt & Whitney GESP, M/S 731-96, P.O.B. 109600  Fax:        561.796.4669
West Palm Beach, FL, 33410-9600                  Internet:   CONDICMA@PWFL.COM
    "You spend a billion here and a billion there. Sooner or later it
    adds up to real money."
        --  Everett Dirksen

From: Marin David Condic, 561.796.8997, M/S 731-96 @ 1997-07-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ken Garlington <kennieg@FLASH.NET> writes:
>> What does this have to do with the problem under discussion?  I agree that
>> this can happen, but why does the ability to enable and disable assertions
>> cause any new problems?
>
>Because I have seen compilers that generate correct code with one set of
>compiler options enabled, and a different (incorrect) set with a
>different
>set of options enabled. As with the timing issue above, I can do all of
>my testing with assertions enabled, and have no clue whether or not the
>code will still work after I disable those assertions (due to a compiler
>bug). Again, this is a Bad Thing for safety-critical systems.

    Let me ask a question about the way you work in your environment.
    I presume you have some group who is responsible for verification
    of whatever code you produce. Would they find it at all acceptable
    to change the contents of so much as one bit in an image without
    requiring some level of reverification of that image?

    We sort of tolerate *some* change, limited to a set of constants
    which need to be tuned for engine trim - sometimes overall trim
    for a type of engine, sometimes trim for a specific engine.
    (Depends on the project) But even then, the constants are given
    their own part number and are run through some abbreviated set of
    tests in the lab before being accepted as safe to send out the
    door.

    But the question of changing even a single word in the program
    image is unacceptable to our test group unless I can guarantee
    that by changing that word there is no conceivable way of causing
    the engine to come to harm or otherwise causing the control to
    malfunction. Since I can't do that, we never change an image in
    any way without reverification. Hence, verifying with compiler
    switch X set to "assertions enabled" then recompiling with switch
    X set to "assertions disabled" and presuming this is O.K. is not
    an option. Verification for us is also quite expensive and will
    eventually involve engine test stand time, so doing it twice is
    not economically viable.

    What I'd like to know is if we're unique in this requirement. Your
    IRS computers are also tasked with mission critical
    responsibilities and I'd like to get the thumbnail sketch as to
    what your verification and CM people find acceptable.

@ 1997-07-24  0:00 Marin David Condic, 561.796.8997, M/S 731-96
From: Marin David Condic, 561.796.8997, M/S 731-96 @ 1997-07-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ken Garlington <kennieg@FLASH.NET> writes:
>>     If you have a control loop executing code, say, every 5mSec,
>>     sensing some inputs and doing some loop closure, you know by the
>>     rules of Ada that there are some exception possibilities you can't
>>     disable.
>
>Realisitically, you can disable all of them (and we have in the past).

    Seems like the last time I checked the Ada83 standard when my
    project had an issue with this, there were some cases where
    disabling the checks would have been difficult and probably
    unwise. (I'm thinking specifically of PROGRAM_ERROR, STORAGE_ERROR
    and TASKING_ERROR. Given the sorts of things that can raise these
    errors, they may be beyond your direct control. Of course, you may
    get some variance based on compilers.) Where there's a whip,
    there's a way, so I'll agree you can turn off all exceptions,
    albeit you may get stuck doing some tweeking of your RTK. (Doesn't
    scare me - just makes one more thing I've got to document & test.)

>>     Hence they could be raised by code beyond your control.
>>     You insert an exception handler in the loop to catch any of these,
>>     possibly logging them for telemetry (or at least ticking off a
>>     counter somewhere so you know it happened in lab testing!) then
>>     allow the loop to restart.
>
>Yes, we do this with interrupt handlers (although we resume where we
>left off,
>rather than restart). The problem with restart is blowing off a frame of
>data.
>For high-gain data, you might see a significant transient, which could
>have very bad effects structurally, operationally, etc.

    Interrupt handlers are a similar, but different enough to warrant
    some special consideration. First off, you *can* return to where
    you left off with an interrupt - not so with exceptions. (I'm sure
    you realize this, but it needed to be stated.) We took this view
    of interrupts: Some we were using and they had some appropriate
    code to do what needed to be done. Others we weren't using, so
    they were masked off. In the off chance that some mysterious code
    messed up the mask or gamma rays punched holes in the mask at the
    same instant that a spurious interrupt happened, we had handlers
    tied to the unused interrupts "just in case". You could presume
    that the most probable cause of receiving one of these interrupts
    was a hardware failure of some sort - which may have been either
    transient or permanent. Software *might* have caused it
    (accidentally performed some XIO instructions with the wrong
    addresses & data which just so happened to unmask, then trigger an
    interrupt?) and again you could presume it was either transient or
    permanent. So the catch-all handlers were designed to log the
    error, report it in telemetry and if it was the third occurrence,
    presume something was broke permanently and transfer control to
    the other side.

    You could devise a dozen variants for accommodating these errors,
    all of which have strengths & weaknesses - but eventually you've
    got to fly with only one of them and live with it's weaknesses. In
    any event, if the interrupt was occurring from a flaw in the
    software design - well you're truly intercoursed and there's no way
    around it when the design is "common mode". It's the same deal you
    get with identical processor board designs - if some transistor is
    plugged into the design to operate at it's ragged edge limit of
    failure and some corner case drives the transistor just a little
    harder than that, you let the smoke out. Guess what? The same
    transistor on the other side is seeing the same corner case and
    it's probably letting the smoke out too. Kiss the rocket goodbye.

>The bottom line is, there is no intrinsically "safe" general-purpose
>approach
>to handling exceptions. For the ones you can't suppress (or figure out
>how to
>handle otherwise), you end up basically making the best of a bad
>situation.

    True. We looked at them and used the outer-most-loop scheme I
    outlined. Again the accommodation was *usually* to log it three
    times, then shut down presuming the channel to be broke. This was
    the general philosophy for all our system level FDA - not just
    exceptions. Some, we reasoned might be fixed by reloading out of
    E**2, so we'd reboot after the transfer. Some errors we'd presume
    broken hardware and stay down. Some, the three occurrences would
    have to be in a row - if it cleared for a given cycle, you'd reset
    the counters. All of it had to be based on an analysis of the
    errors we could detect and looking at the most probable cause,
    then deriving a reasonable accommodation. However, you can't fix
    everything, right? What if the processor gets fried by gamma rays?
    What's your software going to do to clear *that* problem?
    (Seriously got asked that question!) What if the common mode
    design is flawed? What if the sun expands suddenly and totally
    engulfs the rocket in fire? Some things you can't fix with
    software.

>>     What you're saying is this: "On pass N everything was fine. On
>>     pass N+1, something went haywire and interrupted normal execution.
>>     Because quitting operation is not an acceptable alternative, what
>>     I'm betting on is that on pass N+2, the problem will clear
>>     itself."
>
>OK for transient input problems (we use input filtering to handle those,
>however),
>or for transient hardware problems (and you should read the beating
>Ariane
>took for assuming that!), but there's absolutely no reason to assume a
>software
>design fault will act this way.
>
>That's not to say that your approach is wrong, but if it fails... what
>will your
>inquiry board's report look like?

    Agreed. Software design faults are probably the most difficult to
    accommodate because a) you don't know what it's going to do so you
    don't even know if you can detect it and b) unless you know what
    it's nature is you can't devise a reasonable accommodation. (And
    if I knew what it's nature was, I'd probably have gotten rid of it
    and insured that it would never happen anyway!) Our approach with
    the outer-loop exception handler was based on some assumptions: If
    something goes wrong for which you don't already have some
    accommodation (the stuff you didn't know about) then it is
    probably better for the control to press on trying to run the
    system than it would be to shut down and leave the engine
    fail-fixed. If the problem is serious enough not to clear,
    eventually your watchdog timer is going to shut the channel down
    anyway (or some other FDA is going to come into play) and you
    *probably* didn't do any harm by continuing to try to run.

    For transient data problems and such, we'd naturally go do some
    form of input filtering, range checking, invalid input logic,
    whatever. But that's all for the errors you know about and
    anticipate. The toughies are the ones you *don't* know about and
    *don't* anticipate. Those are always the ones that kill you. And I
    don't know of any design strategy or theory or rule of thumb
    method that's going to help you with the problems that fit in this
    category.

>>     This would potentially give you a viable use for raising
>>     exceptions on the fly. Granted, you wouldn't do this for any sort
>>     of expected conditions with planned for accommodations, but
>>     strictly for those sorts of errors that should never occur, but
>>     might just do so anyway. Your accommodation at that point might be
>>     something like resetting all of memory to its initial state and
>>     hoping that the next batch of inputs gets you back to where you
>>     should be.
>
>We actually have a top-level handler on some programs that does a warm
>start
>if a really serious event happens, that's similar to what you describe.
>However, it's more of wishful thinking than anything else that says this
>will save the system. It's the last line of defense, not the first, and
>certainly
>not something you want to depend on to say your system is safe!

    You're right - it's wishful thinking. But if the alternative is to
    shut down the system and let the rocket fall in the ocean - well
    the mission's over anyway, you might just as well try *something*,
    no matter how desparate.

    I agree, it's the last resort - not the first line of defense. But
    I don't think most of us would run off raising exceptions for
    things we could easily detect and accommodate as we're reading the
    data and making our computations. Given that little Ariane event,
    I'd think that if you went to all the trouble of putting in the
    assertion to range check the input, you might just as well have
    saturated the number and set the "bad data" flag riding with it.
    (assuming we're redesigning the system). Our practical experience
    with control systems indicates that saturated arithmetic most
    often "does the right thing" for out of range situations.

    But again, this is all 20/20 hindsight and as I've observed
    before, the Ariane software was an adequate design in it's
    original context.

    MDC

Marin David Condic, Senior Computer Engineer     ATT:        561.796.8997
Pratt & Whitney GESP, M/S 731-96, P.O.B. 109600  Fax:        561.796.4669
West Palm Beach, FL, 33410-9600                  Internet:   CONDICMA@PWFL.COM
    "They can't get you for what you didn't say."
        --  Calvin Coolidge

* Re: Safety-critical development in Ada and Eiffel
@ 1997-08-24  0:00 Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1997-08-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nick writes

<<> OK, so if you can't write such requirements in a rigorous way, how can
> you write the application. If you can write an application that meets
> the requirements, you can write a coded spec for the problem. In the
> extreme case, the code for the application is the specification.>>

Many people have made statements like this, but in my experience, this is
quite false. It is often the case that it is impossible to write down
requirements in a rigorous way, either because you don't know what they
are, or they are stated at a level of abstraction ("use a pleasing color
scheme, easy on the eyes, for the GUI") that is not susceptible to
formalization.

Sure, the code for the application is *a* specification of *something*, but
most likely it is *not* *the* desired specification.

This is often frustrating to those who want a nice clean theoretical
model that guarantees reliable code, but we need methods that can indeed
handle the more general case where we do not always have rigorous
specifications.

Note that the problem of not being able to create such specifications
is not restricted to hardware. Consider the two requirements that
were placed on the IBM Trackpoint before its release:

(a) On average, people must find it as easy to use out of the box as a
trackball, even if they have experience with a trackball.

(b) On average, people must find the trackpoint as easy to use as a mouse
given extensive practice with both.

These were taken very seriously, and the release of the product was
delayed until these requirements were met. But I don't see how you
could formalize these requirements into a form that would rigorously
tell you if your mechanical device met these requirements.

Once I heard Wirth state that one should simply refuse to attempt to
write a program in such circumstances. His point was that it was impossible
to guarantee correctness by the method he was proposing at the time
(successive refinement, maintaining the invariant of correctness).
My response (that what we needed was reliability, not correctness, and
that correctness was only a tool to achieve reoliability), drew applause
from the audience, which was frustrated by this narrow view.

Things are not as simple as one might hope :-)