From: jtc@jupiter.milkyway.org (Jim Cochrane)
Subject: Re: Safety-critical development in Ada and Eiffel
Date: 1997/08/09
Date: 1997-08-09T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <33E9ADE9.4709@flash.net>,
Ken Garlington  <kennieg@flash.net> wrote:
>Don Harrison wrote:
>>
>> Ken Garlington wrote:
>>
>> :Don Harrison wrote:
>> :>
>> :> Ken Garlington wrote:
>> :>
>> :> :Don Harrison wrote:
>> :> :>
>> :> :> What we want is a way to signal to the caller that they've made a mistake and
>> :> :> need to take corrective action.
>> :> :
>> :> :If they don't know to check that they might have made a mistake,
>> :>
>> :> They *do* know because they get an exception.
>> :
>> :Not when they're _writing_ the code, unfortunately.
>>
>> Yes, but we're not talking about writing the code. We're talking about execution.
>> Even Smalltalkers can't write and execute at the same time. :)
>
>Eiffel advocates need to decide: Is the primary value of assertions for
>documentation
>(as Meyer maintains) or to raise errors during execution (which has a
>number of
>drawbacks, including potentially postponing the detection of the problem
>until well
>after it is delivered).

I think the most important use of Eiffel assertions (specifically
require, ensure, and (class) invariant) is for documentation - that is,
to provide a precise specification of the precondition and postcondition
for each public method and of the class invariant.  Specifications that
are not codable can still be documented as comments.  Tools that are part
of the standard Eiffel environment automatically extract these specifications
so that a programmer who is using a class will have access to the
documentation of the class's interface without needing to look at the
class implementation.

>> :Someone needs to decide if DBC is a coding guideline or a software
>> :development
>> :methodology. My concern is that it is touted as the former, but used as
>> :the latter.
>>
>> I don't see any problem with using it as both.
>
>However, there is a serious problem when practitioners use it (and
>discuss it) in terms of the former. Note the number of times in this
>post, for example, that DBC has been described in terms of concrete
>capabilities when the subject is code execution, but only vaguely
>(if at all) when described as a methodology. For example:
>
>1. How, specifically, does DBC support error detection prior to
>execution?
>(Not writing down potential error sources, but actually determining if
>the
>error exists in the particular application.)

The concept of design by contract is simply an extension of the ideas
presented by Dijkstra, Gries, and others on the design of correct
programs.  An important component of these ideas is the specification of a
precise pre- and post-condition for each coded procedure.  The extensions
made to this component by the principle of design by contract include
adapting it to an object-oriented system (by adding class invariants
and having the procedures belong to a class) and providing language
support for these specifications.

To address the above question in this context, design by contract can
be used as part of a formal development process that uses design and
code inspections as a means of detecting and removing design and code
defects.  The technique of precisely specifying class interfaces,
aided with tools to extract this specification to make it easily
available, enhances the inspection process by making these interfaces
explicit.  Thus, for example, when the implementation of a method m that
uses class X is inspected, the use of X's methods by m can be examined
to determine if m uses X's methods correctly; this is done by checking,
for example, for a call of X.a in m, that the precondition of X.a will
be true when the call is made.  Additionally, m's postcondition can
be used during an inspection to check if it will always be true by
analyzing the implementation of m - that is, by answering the question:
When m's implementation is executed, will it always terminate with
the postcondition true?

Thus (in my opinion), design by contract is not a method.  Rather it
is a technique that is a useful component of a method.  The contribution
of the this technique is that it ensures a precise and explicit
specification of a class interface so that the use of the interface
can be examined by means of its pre-conditions to make sure that it
is used correctly, and the implementation of the interface can be
examined by means of its post-conditions and class invariant to make
sure that it is implemented correctly.  In any object-oriented design,
all class interfaces will have specifications.  If the specifications
are not explicitly documented, it will be more difficult to use the
interface correctly.  When the specifications are explicitly documented,
it becomes easier to use the interface correctly, as well as easier to
detect defects in the use or implementation of the interface.

>2. By extension, how does DBC support error detection after reuse?

If I understand what you're asking, design by contract can be used to
detect errors in the use of a reusable component by examining the
use of the component by the client code and determining if the
pre-conditions specified by the reusable component's interface are
true for every call in the client code of a method belonging to the
interface.

>3. For those errors not discovered (which will presumably cause run-time
>exceptions), how does DBC guide the designer to handle these exceptions
>(which were not expected to occur)?

I think that the originator of the concept of design by contract,
Meyer, has presented some guidelines for handling exceptions.  However,
although these guidelines may be helpful, I think the designer of
the software is going to need to decide how to handle each situation
where an exception could occur.

>4. How does DBC help detect inconsistencies between code and
>requirements,
>or for that matter internal consistencies within the requirements?

Again, (in my opinion) design by contract is not a method; and it cannot
solve these problems.  It should be used as part of a method.  Areas
such as these that are not addressed by design by contract, should
be addressed by means of other method components.  Design by contract
could help to detect inconsistencies between code and requirements,
since it makes the interface specifications of the code explicit, thus
making it easier to detect such inconsistencies simply because the
documentation of the specifications is available; but it cannot be
used as the only means to detect these inconsistencies.

From your post, my impression is that you are assuming that design
by contract is a method whose purpose is to develop software as free
from defects as possible.  I think if you adjust your view and look
at it as a technique or tool that is part of such a method, this may
clear up some of the confusion.  In other words, the application of
design by contract will not guarantee high quality software.  This is
only possible if it is applied wisely as part of a comprehensive method.
And even a comprehensive method cannot guarantee high quality software;
it is also necessary to apply one's own exertion, intelligence, and
wisdom.  A method may guide us in developing high quality software,
but we will still need to make difficult decisions.  Regardless of the
method used, a poorly made decision can detract from the quality of the
software we are developing.

Jim Cochrane
jtc@dimensional.com