* Re: International Algorithmic Language
       [not found] <5s7tpq$gjt@nntp.seflin.org>
@ 1997-08-05  0:00 ` W. Wesley Groleau x4923
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: W. Wesley Groleau x4923 @ 1997-08-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ralph Silverman wrote:
>         internationalization of algorithmic language

Suggesting a language with keywords and data types of:
      {  }  ==  ->  (  )    <>    ~<>     ?    :  ^?  >=
      ><   >><<      2>><<     2><     4>><<    [    ]    |>><<
      2>-<   2>>-<<     ^><   ^>><<   ~{     <-<    <-<>
      2>+<       >+<    >*<      2>>*<<     2>><<    2>>-<<

Don't believe him if he says he didn't inhale.

    Wes Groleau, Hughes Defense Communications, Fort Wayne, IN USA
Senior Software Engineer - AFATDS                  Tool-smith Wanna-be

Don't send advertisements to this domain unless asked!  All disk space
on fw.hac.com hosts belongs to either Hughes Defense Communications or
the United States government.  Using email to store YOUR advertising
on them is trespassing!

* Re: International Algorithmic Language
       [not found] <5s7tpq$gjt@nntp.seflin.org>
@ 1997-08-05  0:00 ` Borg
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: Borg @ 1997-08-05  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Ralph,

What did you smoke today?  :)

--
My real email address is:       <vladimip at uniserve dot com>
#include <disclaimer.h>  |     *Good pings come in small packets*

* Re: International Algorithmic Language
       [not found] ` <5sa97g$o4l@falcon.le.ac.uk>
@ 1997-08-06  0:00   ` Chris Waters
From: Chris Waters @ 1997-08-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <5sa97g$o4l@falcon.le.ac.uk> "Dr E. Buxbaum" <EB15@le.ac.uk> writes:

>There is at least one programming language around which suits
>your requirements. It is called "A Programming Language" (APL
>for short) and is very powerfull, in particular for mathemathical
>problems. Unfortunately, I always misplace my intergalactic
>dictionary...

Oooh, then we could blend APL and INTERCAL.  APERCAL!  Or maybe
INTERCRAPL! The mind croggles!

(I do think the original poster should have offered to *share*
whatever he was smoking. . . .)
--
Chris Waters             |
cwaters@systems.DHL.COM  |   pneumonoultra-      -osis is too long

@ 1997-08-06  0:00 ` John Gluth
       [not found] ` <5sa97g$o4l@falcon.le.ac.uk>
From: John Gluth @ 1997-08-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

----o< snip o<----

>	thus
>	/* code here ... */
>	<>{
>	 /* code here ... */
>	?( >= i TOP05 ) ~<>;
>	} /* <> */

This is something of a lowest common denominator approach, isn't it?

Let's see, we'll take all the 'eurocentric' words out, and make a
program that is, in effect, unreadable by anyone but a machine
(or someone with a really high nerd quotient).

If you're going to that much trouble, why not just right machine
code?  Then you get the hard to read part and absolute control...
(Or are ascii characters too eurocentric?)

* Re: International Algorithmic Language
       [not found] <5s7tpq$gjt@nntp.seflin.org>
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
From: John Gluth @ 1997-08-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <5sa788$gnn@hacgate2.hac.com> John Gluth,
jpgluth@ccgate.hac.com writes:
>If you're going to that much trouble, why not just right machine
oops...make that "write machine"...and it's not even Monday!

* Re: International Algorithmic Language
@ 1997-08-06  0:00   ` John M. Mills
From: John M. Mills @ 1997-08-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

This all reminds me of the terrific April 1 posting ostensibly by Kernigan
and/or Ritchie apologizing that their originally well-intentioned jokes of
the 'C' language and Unix had taken on a life of their own and people were
actually using them!  It also reminded me of a proposed simplification of
written English which progressively eliminates non-phonetic constructions
and incorporates each step into its own text until the final lines are
almost unintelligible unless you stayed on track throughout.

Classic material.  Particularly considering that it appeared in an *.ada
newsgroup.  Ebonics, move over!

--
John M. Mills, Senior Research Engineer   --   john.m.mills@gtri.gatech.edu
   Georgia Tech Research Institute, Georgia Tech, Atlanta, GA 30332-0834

* International Algorithmic language
@ 1997-08-08  0:00 Ralph Silverman
From: Ralph Silverman @ 1997-08-08  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

	internationalization of algorithmic language

	one good idea involved in
		the 'c' programming language
	is the replacement of 'eurocentric'
	expressions in the 'operational heart'
	of the language,  with more international
	expressions ...
	thus
		BEGIN
		END
	( then traditional in 'algol-like'
	  languages ... )
	becomes
		{
		}
	or
		.EQ.
	( then traditional in fortran ... )
	becomes
		==

	interestingly ... a 'c'-like language
	simplified to its roots and similar,
	in this,  to 'c' at origin could easily
	forgo all such 'eurocentricisms' in
	forgoing the use of alphabetic characters
	for such things ...

	main()

	for instance,  'main' function name
	could be replaced with symbol indicating
	'entry point'-like role ...
	thus
		main()
	becomes
		->()
	( may forgo present use of '->'
	  by requiring strict use of pointer
	  only as identifier of
		derived data type ... )

	loops

	only one loop form is needed ...
	if similar in effect to traditional
		while(1)
	symbol for such would be
		<>
	of course ...
	substitute for
		break
	would be needed ...
	and a generic break regime should
	be used ...
	thus loop-break would be ...
		~<>

	if ... else

	might be
		? ... :
	( present ?: is a kind of meta-version
	  and might be )
		^? :

	thus
	/* code here ... */
	<>{
	 /* code here ... */
	?( >= i TOP05 ) ~<>;
	} /* <> */

	( present author prefers pre-fix notation
	  arrangement where feasible ... )

	types

	fundamental data type is minimum size
	word represented as
		><
	( this is signed ... )
	unsigned ...
		>><<
	non-derived,  non-pointer data-types
	are sized,  in terms of this
		2>><<
		2><
		4>><<
	( arrays much as now ... )
	structures
	|>><<| {}

	internationalization of algorithmic language
	( part b. )

	static storage
	automatic storage of 2(minimum) word is
		2><	/* signed */
		2>><<	/* unsigned */
	static storage is
		2>-<
		2>>-<<	/* similarly */

	meta-type
	float can be thought of as a meta-integer
	so float type might be ...
		^><

	switch or case
	may be eliminated by break from
	program block ( where series of
	? forms are within same block ... )
		(~{)
	( of course if and if...else
	  also do this now ... )

	(no)s
	no enum
	no set
	no union
	no passing derived data-types
	 ( but pointers good,  of course ! )

	internationalization of algorithmic language
	( part c. )

	addendum

	(no)s	/* added */
	no bitfield

	return
	return form is
		<-<
	as
		<-<(i);

	internationalization of algorithmic language
	( part d. )

	addendum

	continue form
	form of 'continue' is
		<-<>

	register form
	'register' form is
		2>+<	/* for instance */
		>+<

	'non-default' auto variable
	could be
		>*<	/* could be 'non-default' auto form */
		2>>*<<
		2>><<	/* default form of auto ... */

		2>>-<<	/* e.g.  of static ... */

	internationalization of algorithmic language

	( part e. )

	addendum

	function declaration
	function declaration will not
	be based on traditional form ...
		int fname();	/* NO */

	instead 'meta' form of return
	value will indicate role ..
		2>^< fname;	/* yes */

	(no)s
	no 'no type' type ...

	unspecified function return type
	defaults to implementation
	specific value .

--

Ralph Silverman
z007400b@bcfreenet.seflin.lib.fl.us

* Re: International Algorithmic language
@ 1997-08-10  0:00 ` Robert Munck
From: Robert Munck @ 1997-08-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 8 Aug 1997 15:45:32 GMT, z007400b@bc.seflin.org (Ralph Silverman)
wrote:

>	internationalization of algorithmic language
>	thus loop-break would be ...
>		~<>
>	static storage is
>		2>-<
>
> (much of a similar nature deleted)

Is it *possible* that he's never heard of APL?  Or thinks
that Japanese has an ">" character?  The only other way
I can think of to make C even more unreadable and
unmaintainable is to allow each programmer to make up
his own character set, syntax, and semantics and change
them throughout the program.

Bob Munck
Mill Creek Systems LC

* Re: International Algorithmic language
@ 1997-08-12  0:00   ` Robert A Duff
From: Robert A Duff @ 1997-08-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <5spvub$qns@nntp.seflin.org>,
Ralph Silverman <z007400b@bc.seflin.org> wrote:
>	internationalization of algorithmic language
>
>	one good idea involved in
>		the 'c' programming language
>	is the replacement of 'eurocentric'
>	expressions in the 'operational heart'
>	of the language,  with more international
>	expressions ...

One good idea when writing English, is to use capital letters at the
start of sentences, and periods at the end, and to form sensible
paragraphs from them.  Are you trying to pretend you're writing poetry?
Sheesh.

[... Various ideas for making a language with the worst qualities of C,
combined with the worst qualities of APL, snipped.]

- Bob

* Re: International Algorithmic language
@ 1997-08-12  0:00 ` Ralph Silverman
From: Ralph Silverman @ 1997-08-12  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

	internationalization of algorithmic language

	one good idea involved in
		the 'c' programming language
	is the replacement of 'eurocentric'
	expressions in the 'operational heart'
	of the language,  with more international
	expressions ...
	thus
		BEGIN
		END
	( then traditional in 'algol-like'
	  languages ... )
	becomes
		{
		}
	or
		.EQ.
	( then traditional in fortran ... )
	becomes
		==

	interestingly ... a 'c'-like language
	simplified to its roots and similar,
	in this,  to 'c' at origin could easily
	forgo all such 'eurocentricisms' in
	forgoing the use of alphabetic characters
	for such things ...

	main()

	for instance,  'main' function name
	could be replaced with symbol indicating
	'entry point'-like role ...
	thus
		main()
	becomes
		->()
	( may forgo present use of '->'
	  by requiring strict use of pointer
	  only as identifier of
		derived data type ... )

	loops

	only one loop form is needed ...
	if similar in effect to traditional
		while(1)
	symbol for such would be
		<>
	of course ...
	substitute for
		break
	would be needed ...
	and a generic break regime should
	be used ...
	thus loop-break would be ...
		~<>

	if ... else

	might be
		? ... :
	( present ?: is a kind of meta-version
	  and might be )
		^? :

	thus
	/* code here ... */
	<>{
	 /* code here ... */
	?( >= i TOP05 ) ~<>;
	} /* <> */

	( present author prefers pre-fix notation
	  arrangement where feasible ... )

	types

	fundamental data type is minimum size
	word represented as
		><
	( this is signed ... )
	unsigned ...
		>><<
	non-derived,  non-pointer data-types
	are sized,  in terms of this
		2>><<
		2><
		4>><<
	( arrays much as now ... )
	structures
	|>><<| {}
	internationalization of algorithmic language
	( part b. )

	REVISED 1997 8 12	/* re.  switch ... block break */

	static storage
	automatic storage of 2(minimum) word is
		2><	/* signed */
		2>><<	/* unsigned */
	static storage is
		2>-<
		2>>-<<	/* similarly */

	meta-type
	float can be thought of as a meta-integer
	so float type might be ...
		^><

->revision 1997 8 12
	switch or case
		switch form will not be
		used ...
		substitutes for such
		widely documented ...

	warning!
	( prior suggestion of 'block break'
			       ^^^^^
	  form
		(~{)
	  is not good ...
	  such would be problematic in break
	  from top level of function body ...
	  ! )
->end revision 1997 8 12

old version 1997 8 12 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
	switch or case
	may be eliminated by break from
	program block ( where series of
	? forms are within same block ... )
		(~{)
	( of course if and if...else
	  also do this now ... )
end old version 1997 8 12 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

@ 1997-08-13  0:00   ` Nick Wagg
From: Nick Wagg @ 1997-08-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ralph Silverman

Ralph Silverman wrote:

>         internationalization of algorithmic language
>
>         one good idea involved in
>                 the 'c' programming language
>         is the replacement of 'eurocentric'
>         expressions in the 'operational heart'
>         of the language,  with more international
>         expressions ...

On the one hand I can see the use, but on the other hand, it seems like
political correctness gone mad.

--
Nick Wagg (mailto:nickw@lsl.co.uk)        Laser-Scan Ltd,
Senior Software Engineer                  Science Park, Milton Rd,

* Re: International Algorithmic language
@ 1997-08-15  0:00   ` Ralph Silverman
From: Ralph Silverman @ 1997-08-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

	internationalization of algorithmic language
	( part f. )
	addendum

	alternative forms in one-loop language
	->-> important change in loop form !!!!!

	for purposes of this discussion ...
	notation is introduced to indicate different,
	related,  loop forms ...

	<+>{} shall represent infinite loop
	( as prior treated as
		<>{}
	)
	<->{} shall represent 'one-pass' loop
	which now shall replace former ...

	a)  near equivalence of forms ...

	a one-pass loop can generate an infinite loop
	with simple modification as ...

		/* code here */
		<->{	/* begin one-pass loop form */
			/* code here */
			<-<->;	/* no-test continue */
		}	/* <-> */

	an infinite loop can generate a one-pass loop
	with simple modification as ...

		/* code here */
		<+>{	/* begin infinite loop form */
			/* code here */
			~<+>;	/* no-test break */
		}	/* <+> */

	b) difficult choice !!!
	obviously,  loop forms are similar to
	'mirror image'

	reasons for choice ...
	in favor of infinite form ( <+> )
		a) simpler source in many cases ...
		b) 'continue' form ( <-<> ) ...
		while useful,  is not essential
		to topology ...

	in favor of 'one-pass' form ( <-> ) ...
		a) more closely reflects underlying
		assembler reality ...
		( generally less abstract ... )
		b) more precise,  and general,
		means of manifesting loop topology ...

--

@ 1997-08-17  0:00     ` Nick Andrew
From: Nick Andrew @ 1997-08-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In <5t1lso$sad@nntp.seflin.org> z007400b@bc.seflin.org (Ralph Silverman) writes:

>	internationalization of algorithmic language
>	( part f. )
>	addendum

I think followups have demonstrated that basically nobody (but the
author) thinks this is a good idea. Why don't you go ahead and
produce a BNF syntax for your new language, write it into a paper
and then publish the URL here? No need to bore us with the design
process.

Nick.
--
Kralizec / Zeta Microcomputer Software  Fax: +61-2-9233-6545 Voice: 9837-1397
G.P.O. Box 3400, Sydney NSW 1043        http://www.zeta.org.au/

* Re: International Algorithmic language
@ 1997-08-17  0:00       ` Robert Dewar
       [not found]         ` <33F771E2.363E18E9@hotmail.com>
From: Robert Dewar @ 1997-08-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nick said

<<I think followups have demonstrated that basically nobody (but the
author) thinks this is a good idea. Why don't you go ahead and
produce a BNF syntax for your new language, write it into a paper
and then publish the URL here? No need to bore us with the design
process.>>

This is a rather extraordinary thread. A surprising number of people seem
to have taken it as serious. I just assumed that it was a joke, since I
cannot imagine anyone seriously thinking that these proposals were real!

@ 1997-08-18  0:00         ` Nick Andrew
From: Nick Andrew @ 1997-08-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In <dewar.871796417@merv> dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar) writes:

>This is a rather extraordinary thread. A surprising number of people seem
>to have taken it as serious. I just assumed that it was a joke, since I
>cannot imagine anyone seriously thinking that these proposals were real!

It's too dull to be a joke.

Nick.
--

@ 1997-08-18  0:00           ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1997-08-18  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Asbjrn said

<<Oh, don't be so sure, remeber, McDonalds got sued because their coffee was
too hot...>>

Always be careful about summarizing legal cases so facilely.

In fact McDonalds was deliberately superheating the coffee to higher than
normal temperatures, and internal memos were alledged to show that they
knew that there might be safety problems.
Furthermore, aand most importantly, a jury was
convinced that there was indeed a problem of liability.

* Re: International Algorithmic language
@ 1997-08-19  0:00     ` Ralph Silverman
From: Ralph Silverman @ 1997-08-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Nick Wagg (nickw@lsl.co.uk) wrote:
: Ralph Silverman wrote:
: >
: >         internationalization of algorithmic language
: >
: >         one good idea involved in
: >                 the 'c' programming language
: >         is the replacement of 'eurocentric'
: >         expressions in the 'operational heart'
: >         of the language,  with more international
: >         expressions ...

: On the one hand I can see the use, but on the other hand, it seems like
: political correctness gone mad.

: --
: Nick Wagg (mailto:nickw@lsl.co.uk)        Laser-Scan Ltd,
: Senior Software Engineer                  Science Park, Milton Rd,
: Tel: +44(0)1223 420414 (ext 213)          Cambridge, CB4 4FY, UK.
: Fax: +44(0)1223 420044                    http://www.lsl.co.uk/

	lately found an old
	cassette recorder and,
	noticed symbols for
	operation ...

	[]	( box )
		pause
	<< 	( double left wedge )
		fast forward
	<	( single left wedge )
		normal advance
	>>	( double right wedge )
		reverse ( fast )
	o	( circle )
		record

	( non - standard eject found ... )
	now ...

	^	( up arrow )
		eject

	recognize these ?

	increasingly ...
	certain symbolic ideas in
		programming
	have come to have similar currency

	{	}
	replacing,
	BEGIN	END
	( program block )

	==
	replacing,
	.EQ.
	( logical comparison )

	and symbols for shifts ...
	<<	>>
	( left shift ) ( right shift )

	and pointer operations,
	*, &

	etc.

	about the biggest remaining problems
	for fundamental symbols are
	 loops
	and
	 derived data types  ...
		( structures )  ...

	shall we stall over whether a loop
	should should be represented by
		next
		up to
		down to
		do ... while
		while ... do
	 etc. ?

--

@ 1997-08-19  0:00       ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1997-08-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ralph said

<<        lately found an old
        cassette recorder and,
        noticed symbols for
        operation ...

        []      ( box )
                pause
        <<      ( double left wedge )
                fast forward>>

I bought a Sony Walkman a few weeks ago, and fast forward is marked <<
and reverse is marked >> (at least if I have PLAY written the right
way up -- I have now got used to holding the thing upside down :-)

* Re: International Algorithmic language
@ 1997-08-20  0:00     ` Ralph Silverman
From: Ralph Silverman @ 1997-08-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

	Internationalization of Algorithmic Language
	Part 1.
	( part b.001 )

	traditionally in
	 the 'c' programming language
		struct
	has the distinct feature,
	( among data-types )
	of
	of allowing definitions as
	well as declarations,
	much as with functions ...

	hence,  in ...

	struct person{
	 /* stuff here */
	} joe, anne;

		person
	is defined
	 ( allocating no program space ! )

		joe
		anne
	are declared
	 ( allocating program space ! )

	traditionally,
	sizeof ( applied to ) person
	will give size of instance
	of derived data-type ...

	however,
	sizeof ( applied to ) joe
	or
	sizeof ( applied to ) anne
	will give the size of a
	pointer
	^^^^^^^
	to such a data-entity !

	international algorithmic language
	shall be similar ...

--

@ 1997-08-20  0:00           ` Rune Moberg
From: Rune Moberg @ 1997-08-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <5t91cd$3aj$1@gidora.kralizec.net.au>,
nick@zeta.org.au (Nick Andrew) wrote:
>In <dewar.871796417@merv> dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar) writes:
>
>>This is a rather extraordinary thread. A surprising number of people seem
>>to have taken it as serious. I just assumed that it was a joke, since I
>>cannot imagine anyone seriously thinking that these proposals were real!
>
>It's too dull to be a joke.

The reason (I suspect) why some people didn't conceive it as a joke,
is probably because there are many people using a similar language
today, 20 years after its conception: "C"

I further guess that people over here at comp.lang.pascal.misc laughed
hard when we read the original post, simply because we knew better. ;-)

--
=\
 *=- R.Moberg, CD-Player Pro info @ http://home.sn.no/home/mobergru

* Re: International Algorithmic language
@ 1997-08-21  0:00         ` Rune Moberg
From: Rune Moberg @ 1997-08-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <dewar.872044458@merv>, dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar) wrote:
>I bought a Sony Walkman a few weeks ago, and fast forward is marked <<
>and reverse is marked >> (at least if I have PLAY written the right
>way up -- I have now got used to holding the thing upside down :-)

Perhaps you could sue them?

--
Rune

* Re: International Algorithmic language
@ 1997-08-22  0:00           ` R.E.Donais
From: R.E.Donais @ 1997-08-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

mobergru@oslonett.no (Rune Moberg) wrote:

>In article <dewar.872044458@merv>, dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu (Robert Dewar) wrote:
>>I bought a Sony Walkman a few weeks ago, and fast forward is marked <<
>>and reverse is marked >> (at least if I have PLAY written the right
>>way up -- I have now got used to holding the thing upside down :-)
>
>Perhaps you could sue them?

Since your question has little, if anything, to do with
programming, I can understand the confusion you must have
with the simple things in life. :->

My Sony has auto reverse.  The reverse button has an
indicator that changes between left and right white filled
arrow heads.  While the play, stop, and direction buttons
are labeled, the buttons marked << and >> have no other
markings.  The fast forward or fast reverse concept of these
buttons is controlled by the current state of the direction
button.  Regardless, they _always_ move the tape onto the
reel corresponding to the direction of their arrow heads.

I would guess that even if your Sony does not have reverse
capability, that the "fast" buttons would also move the tape
to the indicated reel.

The fast operation is appropriate, however the concept of
forward or reverse is one that you have applied and assume
to be fixed. Things will probably make sense once you remove
the blinders and shift your thinking from the linear single
threaded view you currently have of the world to the
multiple dimensions and subtleties of the real world.

Of course you could always purchase a product that is marked
to agree with your thinking. :->

    ...red

--
Support the anti-Spam amendment
  Join at http://www.cauce.org/

* Re: International Algorithmic language
@ 1997-08-22  0:00     ` Ralph Silverman
From: Ralph Silverman @ 1997-08-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

	internationalization of algorithmic language
	part 1.
	( part e.001 )

	ambiguity of function names ...

	function name
	primarily identifies
	pointer to entry-point of
	function in code space ...

	also,  more abstractly,
	function name identifies
		'pseudo-variable'
	of return type of function ...

	when declared,  this
		'pseudo-variable'
	is the 'referent' of declaration,
	because this may be of one of
	different types ...

	therefore declaration of function
	introduces a potentially baffling
	abstraction !

	thus making declaration overt is
	useful for intelligibility;
	and also to distinguish
	declaration of
		function pointer
	from
	declaration of
		function
		 returning
			function pointer
	!

	/* function pointer type is tentative */
		>^<* fname;	/* OLD ___
				 * now declares
				 * function pointer
				 * ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
				 */

		>^<* <-< fname;	/* NEW
				 * ( declares function
				 *  returning function
				 *  pointer ! )
				 */

--

@ 1997-08-26  0:00       ` Boyd Roberts
From: Boyd Roberts @ 1997-08-26  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <5tki08$b0t@nntp.seflin.org>, z007400b@bc.seflin.org (Ralph Silverman) writes:

>		>^<* <-< fname;	/* NEW
>				 * ( declares function
>				 *  returning function
>				 *  pointer ! )
>				 */

Function returning line noise.

--
Boyd Roberts <boyd@france3.fr>			UTM N 31 447109 5411310

``Not only is UNIX dead, it's starting to smell really bad.'' -- rob

This week's Spam Address Troll (SPAT): mraction@mail.connectcorp.net

* script_name variable returning html page name calling script ??
@ 1997-08-30  0:00     ` Mickael
From: Mickael @ 1997-08-30  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all,

I was hoping that someone could help me solve the following
problem:

It is regarding the variable script_name, here it is:

When running the hello.pl script (
http://adar.org/pissavy/test1.html )
I am getting the path and name of the script itself. Is
there a way to get ,unstead, the name of the HTML page that
called the script listed there? the script is called with
ssi.

Unix BSDI 3, perl 5, httpd 1.5

I would be grateful if anyone could tell me if this is
possible

Thank You Much

You may reply to: gtie@club-internet.fr

Mickael Sebban

* Re: script_name variable returning html page name calling script ??
@ 1997-09-03  0:00       ` Eric James DeArment
From: Eric James DeArment @ 1997-09-03  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mickael

Wrong newsgroup.  You should probably try comp.lang.perl.

| "It is what sustained us through our            |
|  days, the truth that was in our hearts         |
|  and strength in our arms, and fulfillment      |
|  in our tongues."-Oisin Mac Finn                |
|  Eric DeArment /|\ 			          |
|  ejd@efn.org				          |
|  Team Ada                                       |