* Wanted - Feedback on the usefulness of your education
@ 1997-07-25  0:00 Tim Lethbridge
From: Tim Lethbridge @ 1997-07-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I would appreciate if as many of you as possible could take the time to
fill out the survey located at:

  http://www.cser.ca/CSSESurvey/

  (select the link 'questionnaire')

The goal of this is to determine how relevant typical software education is
to working professionals. The results will be used to help improve curricula,
and determine training needs for employees.

For each of a list of topics taught in computer science and engineering
programs, I ask:

* How much did you learn about this topic in your education?
* How much do you know now? (after having learned more or forgotten some)
* How useful has it been in your career?
* How useful would it be to learn more?

I posted this request before once, but unfortunately many people were not able
to access the web server due to a disk crash. Thanks for those who already
participated.

I would like to have people from a wide variety of companies complete this
survey (several people per company, preferably from different parts of the
company). I am interested in people who are developing or maintaining
software, managing these activities or performing closely related
activities.  Normally people who complete this survey will have had a
university or college education in computer science or engineering, but I
am also interested in people who are self-taught or who have entered the
field with different educational backgrounds. I am also interested in
ensuring that I include people with varying amounts of experience.

The results will be published, although individual data will of course be
kept confidential.

Thank-you for your assistance.

--
Timothy C. Lethbridge,         | Assistant Professor / Professeur adjoint
http://www.csi.uottawa.ca/~tcl | tcl@site.uottawa.ca /T.Lethbridge@ieee.ca

* Re: Wanted - Feedback on the usefulness of your education
@ 1997-07-29  0:00 ` Brian Scherer
From: Brian Scherer @ 1997-07-29  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Lethbridge

I think that you are short sighting some people. I have a degree
in Information Systems Management, and have been in the computer
field for aver 17 yearws, and in the SQA arena for over 12.

I do not have a software engineering degree, as many people that
program have Electrical Engineering degrees.

Brian Scherer

PS. I would be glad to fill out your survey, but I do not have
web access. Please e-mail me a copy.