* GNAT 3.09 NT and Win32ada
@ 1997-07-20  0:00 Placeholder
From: Placeholder @ 1997-07-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,
I have recently downloaded and installed GNAT 3.09-NT onto my Win95 platform.
Everything seems fine with my GNAT installation. I then downloaded, installed
and built the Win32Ada suite from Intermetrics/Labtek.

I have managed to compile the Win32Ada code but have been unable to link the
examples (except for testexten.adb). Linker results varied from many
unresolved symbols not found, to multiple symbol definitions in other
instances.

Has anybody managed to sort out the linking problems yet ? I suspect that the
"Win32Ada.a" file needs to be rebuilt against the GNAT Windows32 provided
library files and that the original Win32Ada.a was built against the MSVC-RTL.

I am hoping someone has already done this and can guide/help me before I
attempt to rebuild the libraries (OR stop me if this is not the solution).

As an afterthought, what is the Ada programmers market like ?
Anyone got any pointers to resources for Ada employment ?
Anybody know of open positions for Ada Programmers/Software Engineers with 5+
years of experience, Rational, Rational-APEX, DEC-Ultrix DEC-Alpha etc ...
(This is beginning to look too much like a resume, so better quit while I'm
 ahead, you've read this far right?  :-)

Thanks for any help and responses,

(Keeping my name/id away from the message header/title boxes).
e-mail-id: sknipe@ktc.com

* Re: GNAT 3.09 NT and Win32ada
@ 1997-07-21  0:00 ` Martin C. Carlisle
From: Martin C. Carlisle @ 1997-07-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

>I have recently downloaded and installed GNAT 3.09-NT onto my Win95 platform.
>Everything seems fine with my GNAT installation. I then downloaded, installed
>and built the Win32Ada suite from Intermetrics/Labtek.
>I have managed to compile the Win32Ada code but have been unable to link the
>examples (except for testexten.adb). Linker results varied from many
>unresolved symbols not found, to multiple symbol definitions in other
>instances.

If I were smart, I'd have saved this somewhere so I could just cut and
paste.  Here are the steps:

1) Download win32ada (I always get it via www.adahome.com)
2) Do not use win32-winmain from the GNAT version-- instead use the
   one for ObjectAda
3) Compile each of the files in win32ada
4) Make sure the win32ada directory is in your ADA_INCLUDE_PATH and
   ADA_OBJECTS_PATH
5) Make sure you add the necessary pragmas to your code, e.g.:

pragma Linker_Options("-mwindows");
pragma Linker_Options("c:\win32ada\win32ada.a");
pragma Linker_Options("c:\usr\lib\libcomctl32.a");
pragma Linker_Options("c:\usr\lib\libcomdlg32.a");
pragma Linker_Options("c:\usr\lib\libadvapi32.a");

(The first two are definitely needed, the others may or may not be required
depending on your application).

--Martin
--
Martin C. Carlisle, Computer Science, US Air Force Academy
mcc@cs.usafa.af.mil, http://www.usafa.af.mil/dfcs/bios/carlisle.html

* Re: GNAT 3.09 NT and Win32ada
@ 1997-07-22  0:00   ` Richard Kenner
From: Richard Kenner @ 1997-07-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <5r0f31$l8e$1@cnn.Princeton.EDU> mcc@tyrolia.cs.princeton.edu (Martin C. Carlisle) writes:
>pragma Linker_Options("c:\usr\lib\libcomdlg32.a");

This one is included automatically with -mwindows.

>pragma Linker_Options("c:\usr\lib\libcomctl32.a");
>pragma Linker_Options("c:\usr\lib\libadvapi32.a");

These can be done with "-lcomctl32" and "-ladvapi32" and should really be
in the bindings anyway.

>pragma Linker_Options("c:\win32ada\win32ada.a");

Another approach is to call it libwin32ada.a, put c:\win32ada into
LIBRARY_PATH and use "-lwin32ada".