* Re: Is ADA as good for graphics programming as C?
@ 1997-07-21  0:00 Ell
From: Ell @ 1997-07-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jon S Anthony (jsa@alexandria.organon.com) wrote:
:
: "Douglas A. Gwyn" <gwyn@ix.netcom.com> writes:
: >
: > [Don't know] wrote:
: >
: > > In spite of what you may have heard, your dishwasher, your car, your
: > > watch,
: > > and even you are constructed using aggregation.  Last time I checked,
: > > neither my computer (my little Mac, bless it), nor my stereo, nor my
: > > microwave oven were constructed using inheritence - not even (gasp!)
: > > multiple inheritence.  Say it ain't so, Joe!

: > That's not at all true.  In the course of engineering, there is
: > normally a vast amount of inheritance going into systems design.
: > What is inherited is often a model for the general class of the
: > particular product, and the less original the designer, the more
: > this shows.  For example, automobiles pretty much all look alike,
: > and when a new one is designed they don't really start with a
: > totally clean slate.  I doubt that assumptions such as "has 4
: > wheels" are reexamined; they are merely inherited.

: This is _not_ in any way shape or form anything like the sort of
: "inheritance" codified and directly expressed in typical OOPLs.  What
: you mention above is "genealogy style inheritance".  So, while there
: is definitely truth in what you say, it is irrelevant to the topic at
: hand.

I do not see how it's so different.  One class inheriting from another is
actually one generalization being inherited from another.  In biology it's
not ideas that are inherited, but genes.  The notion of passing on is
common to both forms of inheritance.

Elliott
--
"The domain object model is the foundation of OOD."

"We should seek out proven optimal practices and use them."

	~~ The writer

From: Ell @ 1997-07-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Douglas A. Gwyn (gwyn@ix.netcom.com) wrote:
:
: Matthew Heaney <mheaney@ni.net> wrote in article
: >
: > Nature (interpret that to mean God, if that suits you) has
: > chosen aggregation as the essential means of systems construction.

: I think rather, many natural phenomena are *understood by humans*
: via analysis as aggregative "systems".

I think that aggregation can be shown to exist objectively.  Aggregation,
objects, and systems are not simply a matter of human cognition.

: One can identify aspects of
: nature that do not fit that mold,

That doesn't mean aggregation doesn't exist objectively.

: > In spite of what you may have heard, your dishwasher, your car, your
: > watch,
: > and even you are constructed using aggregation.  Last time I checked,
: > neither my computer (my little Mac, bless it), nor my stereo, nor my
: > microwave oven were constructed using inheritence - not even (gasp!)
: > multiple inheritence.  Say it ain't so, Joe!

But often one or more aspects of one aggregate are passed on to another
aggregate - inheritance.

Elliott
--
"The domain object model is the foundation of OOD."

"We should seek out proven optimal practices and use them."

	~~ The writer

* Re: Is ADA as good for graphics programming as C?  (WAS: Re: Avoiding the second historic mistake)
@ 1997-07-15  0:00 Matthew Heaney
From: Matthew Heaney @ 1997-07-15  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <EDAsu7.MLn@syd.csa.com.au>, donh@syd.csa.com.au wrote:

>Yes, through a round-about way using genericity. This is inelegant compared
>with multiple inheritance. However, it's simple compared to the obscure
>technique for acheiving multiple views in Ada95 Rationale, Section 4.6.3.
>I'm still trying to comprehend that one!

Be careful bandying about terms like "more elegant" and "less pure."  Those
are concepts invented by humans to convey an idea to another human.  Nature
doesn't care about what is more or less elegant, she only cares about what
works and what doesn't.

As system builders, especially as builders of software systems, we always
have to be concerned with keeping things simple.  The language designer
must balance expressiveness of the language against inclusion of yet more
features.

Does the putative "elegance" of the MI solution outweigh the language
complexity that would result had MI been included in Ada?  Doesn't
simplicity count for something?  Should one reject Ada out of hand, because
mixin inheritance in Ada using generics is "inelegant" compared to using
multiple inheritence in Eiffel?

Isn't it possible that there are other features of Ada, that allow some
things to be done more easily or more elegantly than in Eiffel?  Is the
mechanism used to implement mixin inheritance so important that those other
features aren't significant?

The multiple view technique is an admittedly difficult idiom to understand
- at first.  But once apprehended, it makes perfect sense, and isn't hard
to do.  You get multiple views for free, because it builds on existing
language mechanisms, and it very nearly gives you what you get in MI,
without requiring that MI be part of the language.

You may want to study my discussion of the Adapter pattern in the SIGAda
patterns WG archives, where I specifically discuss and give code examples
of the multiple views technique.

<http://www.acm.org/sigada>

Matt

Matthew Heaney