* Howto communicate between Java and Ada in OS/2
@ 1997-07-19  0:00 Michael Erdmann
From: Michael Erdmann @ 1997-07-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

im trying to setup a  demonstration where the interworking between a  Java
written fron end
which will be executed using netscape 2.02 under OS/2 and an ada written
backend has to
be demonstrated. Has somebody out there done something like this.

I intent do build a small server build upon the OS/2 qeues. But in the moment
i have no idea
how to access OS/2 queues from the java script.

Michael

* Re: Howto communicate between Java and Ada in OS/2
@ 1997-07-19  0:00 ` nabbasi
                   ` (3 subsequent siblings)
From: nabbasi @ 1997-07-19  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <qyalvecwejonqmc.pminews@n247-159.berlin.snafu.de>, "Michael says...

>Hi,
>
>im trying to setup a  demonstration where the interworking between a  Java
>written fron end
>which will be executed using netscape 2.02 under OS/2 and an ada written
>backend has to
>be demonstrated. Has somebody out there done something like this.
>
>I intent do build a small server build upon the OS/2 qeues. But in the moment
>i have no idea
>how to access OS/2 queues from the java script.
>
>Michael

How is that any different than a cgi scripts running a program? with
cgi scripts, you write it so that at one point it will execute some program
written on the server. so you can have your java script executing a program
that can be written in Ada.  note that I think David Weller it was, has
written an Ada binding to enable one to write cgi scripts in Ada (I think
he wrote the PUT and GET api's but I dont not know much about cgi to be sure
now).

so, write the Ada program on the server, and let your script starts it, the
output of the Ada program will go back to the browser.

Nasser

* Re: Howto communicate between Java and Ada in OS/2
@ 1997-07-20  0:00   ` Michael Erdmann
From: Michael Erdmann @ 1997-07-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 19 Jul 1997 20:49:35 -0700, nabbasi@earthlink.net wrote:

:>In article <qyalvecwejonqmc.pminews@n247-159.berlin.snafu.de>, "Michael says...
:>>im trying to setup a  demonstration where the interworking between a  Java
:>>written fron end
:>>which will be executed using netscape 2.02 under OS/2 and an ada written
:>>backend has to
:>>be demonstrated.

:>How is that any different than a cgi scripts running a program? with
:>cgi scripts, you write it so that at one point it will execute some program

The idea is to get rid of the PM programming for the GUI. The GUI part shall
be implemented in Java, and only the non GUI logic will be located in the
server. The word server is to big, because it is simply the backend of
the software.

Michael

* Re: Howto communicate between Java and Ada in OS/2
@ 1997-07-20  0:00 ` Tucker Taft
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Tucker Taft @ 1997-07-20  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Erdmann (boavista@berlin.snafu.de) wrote:

: im trying to setup a  demonstration where the interworking between a  Java
: written fron end
: which will be executed using netscape 2.02 under OS/2 and an ada written
: backend has to
: be demonstrated. Has somebody out there done something like this.

Anthony Gargaro et al at CSC (agargaro@isd.csc.com) have built a bridge
between Java RMI and the Ada Distributed Systems Annex (their DSA product
is called "ADEPT" I believe).

: I intent do build a small server build upon the OS/2 qeues. But in the moment
: i have no idea
: how to access OS/2 queues from the java script.

RMI is based on sockets, I believe.  I don't know how that relates to
OS/2 queues.  Soon RMI will also support IIOP, at least in a scaled
down version.

: Michael

Intermetrics, Inc.  Burlington, MA  USA

* Re: Howto communicate between Java and Ada in OS/2
@ 1997-07-21  0:00 ` Tarjei Jensen
From: Tarjei Jensen @ 1997-07-21  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Try using sockets. You can find examples of bindings in the Ada library. However
for your need you have to do your own.

Greetings,

--
// Tarjei T. Jensen
//    tarjeij@ulrik.uio.no || fax +47 51 85 87 01 || voice +47 51 85 87 39

* Re: Howto communicate between Java and Ada in OS/2
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1997-07-22  0:00 ` Andrew Lynch
From: Andrew Lynch @ 1997-07-22  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Michael Erdmann wrote:

> im trying to setup a  demonstration where the interworking between a  Java
> written front end
> which will be executed using netscape 2.02 under OS/2 and an ada written
> backend has to
> be demonstrated. Has somebody out there done something like this.

Hi,

we have just started investigating CORBA as a link between (possibly
multiple) Ada servers on Unix and Java clients. Unfortunately the
only product available for Ada appears to be IONA's Orbix. At the
CUC'97 in Munich a number of people told me it was hardly worth
considering (too buggy, too incomplete etc.). Also the Ada Orbix is
still based on the old CORBA standard, whereas all Java ORBs are
already CORBA 2.0 - ugh.
Has anyone had any experience with Orbix/Ada? Does it work? Is it
usable? Are there any plans to catch up with CORBA 2.0?

Cheers,
Andrew.

| Andrew Lynch, MEng /        lynch@cci.de | Run, run, as fast as you  |
| CCI GmbH          /       alynch@iee.org | can. You can't catch me,  |
| Lohberg 10       /lynch@ug.cs.york.ac.uk | I'm the gingerbeard man!  |
| D-49716 Meppen  / Tel. ++49 5931 805-243 |       .sig by Anna Gramme |

* Re: Howto communicate between Java and Ada in OS/2
@ 1997-07-24  0:00   ` Jon S Anthony
From: Jon S Anthony @ 1997-07-24  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <33D46BFC.4516@cci.de> Andrew Lynch <lynch@cci.de> writes:

> we have just started investigating CORBA as a link between (possibly
> multiple) Ada servers on Unix and Java clients. Unfortunately the
> only product available for Ada appears to be IONA's Orbix. At the
> CUC'97 in Munich a number of people told me it was hardly worth
> considering (too buggy, too incomplete etc.). Also the Ada Orbix is
> still based on the old CORBA standard, whereas all Java ORBs are
> already CORBA 2.0 - ugh.

Bad information.  Orbix supports CORBA 2.0 and Orbix for Ada uses this
version of the ORB.  This is not news.  It's been this way for some
time.

Secondly, OC Systems has an Ada ORB capability for DSOM.

Third, Orbix (while having problems) is probably better overall than
most other available ORBs (irrespective of Ada).

> Has anyone had any experience with Orbix/Ada? Does it work? Is it
> usable? Are there any plans to catch up with CORBA 2.0?

Yes.  Yes.  Yes.  Been there done that (a while ago...)

/Jon
--
Jon Anthony
OMI, Belmont, MA 02178

* Re: Howto communicate between Java and Ada in OS/2
                   ` (3 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1997-07-25  0:00 ` bill.beckwith
From: bill.beckwith @ 1997-07-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: engr

Andrew Lynch wrote:

> Michael Erdmann wrote:
> >
> > im trying to setup a  demonstration where the interworking between a
Java
> > written front end
> > which will be executed using netscape 2.02 under OS/2 and an ada
written
> > backend has to
> > be demonstrated. Has somebody out there done something like this.
>
> Hi,
>
> we have just started investigating CORBA as a link between (possibly
> multiple) Ada servers on Unix and Java clients. Unfortunately the
> only product available for Ada appears to be IONA's Orbix. At the
> CUC'97 in Munich a number of people told me it was hardly worth
> considering (too buggy, too incomplete etc.). Also the Ada Orbix is
> still based on the old CORBA standard, whereas all Java ORBs are
> already CORBA 2.0 - ugh.
> Has anyone had any experience with Orbix/Ada? Does it work? Is it
> usable? Are there any plans to catch up with CORBA 2.0?

Hopefully our customers are not too busy to follow up on this article.
We do have many customers that are successfully building applications
with Orbix/Ada.

One customer, CACI, was funded by DISA (along with Lockheed-Martin)
to participate in an interoperability demo that included C++
and Java ORBs.  Our customer at CACI reports that the _least_
number of problems occurred with Orbix/Ada.  The CACI customer
(Lee Patton) in his paper in the Washington Ada Symposium 1997
proceedings said:

     "Overall, we had great success using Ada 95 and CORBA."

     "A client implemented in Ada 95 seamlessly interoperated
      with a server constructed in C++.  A server implemented
      in Ada 95 seamlessly interoperated with a client
      implemented in Java."

Re: the CORBA 2.0 issue.  Orbix/Ada is fully compliant with the
forthcoming CORBA 2.1 language mapping specification.  The current
Orbix/Ada product (1.2) does not use IIOP as its primary protocol.

When the all Ada ORB was built last year it was architected
around the GIOP messaging protocol (i.e. IIOP) and predictable
time behavior.  IONA demanded that we first support the proprietary
Orbix protocol so we complied.  We are working hard on completing
our support of IIOP at the moment.

The feature priorities for the Orbix/Ada product are focused on
the support of realtime.  We are working on native ATM support
as well as other high speed, predictable transports.

Re: Java ORB's CORBA 2.0 support.  _None_ of the Java ORBs are
CORBA 2.0 compliant WRT the language mapping.  The mapping was
just approved in Feb 97.  They just recently began supporting
IIOP.  This makes sense since the Java ORBs were built more
recently.

Note that by default Orbix/C++ uses Orbix protocol just like
Orbix/Ada.  OrbixWeb (Java) uses IIOP by default, but does
support Orbix protocol.  This causes no end of confusion when
people try to make OrbixWeb interoperate with either Orbix/C++
or Orbix/Ada.  OrbixWeb will interoperate with the current
Orbix/Ada product using Orbix protocol.

-- Bill

* Re: Howto communicate between Java and Ada in OS/2
@ 1997-07-25  0:00     ` Andrew Lynch
From: Andrew Lynch @ 1997-07-25  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jon S Anthony wrote:

> In article <33D46BFC.4516@cci.de> Andrew Lynch <lynch@cci.de> writes:
[...]
> > considering (too buggy, too incomplete etc.). Also the Ada Orbix is
> > still based on the old CORBA standard, whereas all Java ORBs are
> > already CORBA 2.0 - ugh.
>
> Bad information.  Orbix supports CORBA 2.0 and Orbix for Ada uses this
> version of the ORB.  This is not news.  It's been this way for some
> time.

Thanks for the corrections.
It seems rather strange that IONA themselves are rather reluctant to
give us this information. (This was IONA in the US, their German
office seems to consist of one person with an answerphone who never
reads his email)

@ 1997-07-28  0:00   ` John Atwood
From: John Atwood @ 1997-07-28  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

>Michael Erdmann wrote:
>>
>> im trying to setup a  demonstration where the interworking between a  Java
>> written front end
>> which will be executed using netscape 2.02 under OS/2 and an ada written
>> backend has to
>> be demonstrated. Has somebody out there done something like this.

>we have just started investigating CORBA as a link between (possibly

For a simple demo, couldn't you just open a socket and pass some data?
A nice example is in the March 97 issue of MS Interactive Developer,
at www.microsoft.com/mind/    (damned frames prevent me from giving
a precise URL, but it's in the Java 911 colomn of that issue). The code
is available for download.
Both client and server are in Java, but might be useful.

A web search turns up some interesting files at:
http://www.cs.fsu.edu/~baker/cen4010/ada/sockets/

John Atwood
--
--Office phone: 541-737-5583 (Batcheller 349) home: 757-8772
  Office mail:  303 Dearborn Hall, OSU, Corvallis, OR  97331