From: Stuart Palin <\<\<omitted because I get too much spam already\>\>>
Subject: Re: Ada's Assembly Language Comments
Date: 1997/07/11
Date: 1997-07-11T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

The thing I find irritating about Ada comments is the descision to
construct the comment token out of a widely used mathematical symbol
rather than using some rarely used character or combining different
characters.  An accidental double key hit can lead to unintentional
commenting, and coupled with the long names encouraged in Ada it does
not seem unreasonable to suggest that an error of the form:

   long_name_a := long_name_b + long_name_c -- long_name_d - long_name_e
                  + long_name_f;

About the only way you can legislate against this in an automated syntax
based style analysis program is to prohibit comments embedded in
statements.

When Ada goes to the trouble of prohibiting double '_' (I believe for
reasons of legibility) it seems doubly weird to use double '-' for
comments.  Why not something like "!!", "%%", "##"?

--
Stuart Palin
Consultant Engineer