From: ok@goanna.cs.rmit.edu.au (Richard A. O'Keefe)
Subject: Re: In Ada, is it possible to print an array on the screen without a loop?
Date: 1997/07/10
Date: 1997-07-10T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

johnherro@aol.com (John Herro) writes:
>Text_IO.Put_Line(
>     "Of course! ... if the array happens to be a string! :-)  ");
>-- ...but in general, I think the answer is no.

Clearly there has to be a loop _somewhere_, but this answer is somewhat
misleading.  It doesn't follow that _SG_ has to write the loop.

It is possible to write a generic procedure, and then SG just has to
instantiate it once.  The only reason I've never bothered to do this
is that there are a lot of issues in formatting an array that don't
arise in formatting a single item.
--
Four policemen playing jazz on an up escalator in the railway station.
Richard A. O'Keefe; http://www.cs.rmit.edu.au/%7Eok; RMIT Comp.Sci.