From: Geert Bosch <geert@gonzo.sun3.iaf.nl>
Subject: Re: array conversion - how to do?
Date: 1997/07/04
Date: 1997-07-04T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Robert Dewar <dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu> wrote:
   Of course this means that your complaint about the conversion
   still stands, but you can't go adding major chunks of complexity
   to a language just so it can handle one more case efficiently,
   especially when it is an artifical case -- I find the use of
   that subtype of character to be excessive baggage in the first
   place.

The actual code uses arrays of access-to-classwide pointers.
When creating an array with access-to-object values of
objects that are in B'Class, I need to take advantage of
some features of objects in that class. Later on, when I want
to pass the array to more general functions, I need to
convert the array to an array of access to A'class, where
B is new A with private. I thought posting the actual code
would be less helpful than constructing a much simpler example
with exactly the same problem.

Regards,
   Geert