From: dch@st-vincent (David Haslam)
Subject: Re: Source files organisation using gnat
Date: 1997/07/03
Date: 1997-07-03T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Robert Dewar (dewar@merv.cs.nyu.edu) wrote:
: Laurentau said

: <<When I had a look at gnat, the first thing that I saw was... a lot of
: files in the same directory (adainclude). I don't know how to say without
: hurting people but if I program this way at work, I may get beaten to
: death by my quality manager ;-)
: >>

: Try reading the section in the users guide on the compilation model.

: The whole point is that "a lot of files in the same directory" *is*
: the GNAT representation of what you are used to Alsys representing in
: one huge file. Note that this is not actually so much about compilation
: models, the issue of whether to use one huge file or multiple small
: ...

I understood the original poster as being concerned with the source
file organisation rather than library issues. The ada subdirectory
under the gcc source tree contains about a 1000 source files. Certainly I
would never organise a large project with a flat structure like this, I
would want a directory hierarchy. I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

: files to represent a library is a perfectly legitimate design dichotomy
: even in compilers that use a conventional Ada 83 model -- many Ada 83
: compilers used multiple files to represent a library.

: If your quality control manager has a fixed idea that one big file is
: better than a directory containing many small files, I don't know

I don't think that is the problem, it is having lots of source files
in one directory that is objectionable.

--
David Haslam                                 Work: David.Haslam@gecm.com
GEC-Marconi Radar and Defence Systems       Home: dch@sirius.demon.co.uk