* Ada reverse enginering tools.  Can you suggest one ?
@ 1997-06-13  0:00 Mike
From: Mike @ 1997-06-13  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm looking for a tool to take some existing Ada 83 code and turn out something
that non programers can review more easily.  If you know of a tool or have had
experience with a tool like this - thanks for any suggestions.  Since I have
maybe 5000 lines of code an it's a one time thing it would be nice to find a
low cost tool.

* Re: Ada reverse enginering tools.  Can you suggest one ?
@ 1997-06-17  0:00 ` Spam Hater
From: Spam Hater @ 1997-06-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I'm looking for a tool to take some existing Ada 83 code and turn out something
> that non programers can review more easily.  If you know of a tool or have had
> experience with a tool like this - thanks for any suggestions.  Since I have
> maybe 5000 lines of code an it's a one time thing it would be nice to find a
> low cost tool.

If "non-programmers" means it has to be translated into plain
English, that's a pretty ambitious wish.  They shouldn't be
reviewing code at all.  But if you just need a little visualization
help for someone unfamiliar with Ada, see if you can use what's
introduced (free) at

http://www.eng.auburn.edu/department/cse/research/grasp/
    Wes Groleau, Hughes Defense Communications, Fort Wayne, IN USA
Senior Software Engineer - AFATDS                  Tool-smith Wanna-be

Don't send advertisements to this domain unless asked!  All disk space
on fw.hac.com hosts belongs to either Hughes Defense Communications or
the United States government.  Using email to store YOUR advertising
on them is trespassing!

* Re: Ada reverse enginering tools.  Can you suggest one ?
@ 1997-06-17  0:00 ` Michael F Brenner
From: Michael F Brenner @ 1997-06-17  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Some of Ada engineering tools include:
   cgrep (used by MITRE customers), Refine/Ada (a commercial tool),
   gnatf (to produce cross reference lists and lists of things not used).

What I would like to see is better visualization of the cohesion and
coupling using graphical renderings of the program flow and data flow
in all the processes and threads, with timing under my control and
variable values watched at my discretion, with a user interface like
Turbo Pascal 7.0 (the best user interface ever), plus hypertext links
from each node and arrow like Digital Equipment Corporations DECSet
Source Code Analyzer or CADRE Teamwork, and an open interface so I
can program my own metrics collection, clustering algorithms,
statistics, selection criteria for execution and display, written
in Ada so there wont be any bugs, hanging pointers, or memory leakage.