* Re: README: HOW TO GET HELP HERE (Welcome, students!)
       [not found] <5n96p6$uj9$1@prime.imagin.net>
@ 1997-06-06  0:00 ` W. Wesley Groleau (Wes)
From: W. Wesley Groleau (Wes) @ 1997-06-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> THE "RULES":
>   2. Use a subject line that says what you are asking about.

Excellent!  But how about one more

    2. a. When you change the subject, change the subject line.

          It gets kind of hard to follow a thread about Jupiter
          when half the posts under the subject are really about
          Thomas Jefferson.

    Wes Groleau, Hughes Defense Communications, Fort Wayne, IN USA
Senior Software Engineer - AFATDS                  Tool-smith Wanna-be

Don't send advertisements to this domain unless asked!  All disk space
on fw.hac.com hosts belongs to either Hughes Defense Communications or
the United States government.  Using email to store YOUR advertising
on them is trespassing!

* Changing Subjects (was: README: HOW TO GET HELP HERE (Welcome, student
@ 1997-06-06  0:00   ` Larry Kilgallen
From: Larry Kilgallen @ 1997-06-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <33983542.6567@most.fw.hac.com>, "W. Wesley Groleau (Wes)" <wwgrol@most.fw.hac.com> writes:
>> THE "RULES":
>>   2. Use a subject line that says what you are asking about.
>
> Excellent!  But how about one more
>
>     2. a. When you change the subject, change the subject line.

My belief is that while newcomers may be responsible for 99% of the
titles with precision akin to:

		HELP NEEDED !!!! ** !!!! &&*

the failure to change subjects is more a shortcoming of oldtimers.

Larry Kilgallen

* Re: Changing Subjects (was: README: HOW TO GET HELP HERE (Welcome, student
@ 1997-06-09  0:00     ` Robert A Duff
From: Robert A Duff @ 1997-06-09  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <1997Jun6.181635.1@eisner>,
Larry Kilgallen <kilgallen@eisner.decus.org> wrote:
>...the failure to change subjects is more a shortcoming of oldtimers.

I'm not sure it's always a shortcoming.  It's nice to be able to
kill-file an entire long blathering argument about nothing-in-particular
in one swell foop.  ;-)  If people keep changing the subject (e.g. from
"Ada is God's gift to programmers" to "Ada sucks" and back again) then
it's harder to kill.

- Bob

* Re: Changing Subjects (was: README: HOW TO GET HELP HERE (Welcome, student
@ 1997-06-10  0:00       ` W. Wesley Groleau (Wes)
From: W. Wesley Groleau (Wes) @ 1997-06-10  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> >...the failure to change subjects is more a shortcoming of oldtimers.
>
> I'm not sure it's always a shortcoming.  It's nice to be able to
> kill-file an entire long blathering argument about nothing-in-particular
> in one swell foop.  ;-)  If people keep changing the subject (e.g. from
> "Ada is God's gift to programmers" to "Ada sucks" and back again) then
> it's harder to kill.

There is a trade-off.  One might (OTOH) end up killing a subject after
viewing three posts of inanities, and never know there was some
"mislabeled hot stuff" coming up.

@ 1997-06-11  0:00 ` Chip Richards
From: Chip Richards @ 1997-06-11  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <5n96p6$uj9$1@prime.imagin.net>,
	smize@news.imagin.net (Samuel Mize) writes:

> WELCOME!
> --------
[snip]
> Best wishes and good luck!  We hope you find using Ada as exciting
> an adventure as we do.

Absolutely excellent post, Samuel!  Is this going to be a monthly thing?  (I
hope!)

--
Chip