* MicroSoft to purchase Aonix?
@ 1997-05-29  0:00 Mike D Bates
From: Mike D Bates @ 1997-05-29  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Now that I have your attention....  No, MicroSoft isn't going to
purchase Aonix, which is a shame, because the only way our company
will ever use Ada is if Bill Gates is pushing it.

My company builds aircraft simulators -- the kind used for pilot
training, with real cockpit controls and instruments, full motion, and
wraparound out-the-window visual scenes.  We're looking at moving from
Unix platforms to running simulation on a cluster of Intel-based
syatems running NT.  The reason?  The hardware is more plentiful and
cheaper than what we currently use, and there's a better chance that
Intel and MicroSoft will still be around in 20 years (so the argument
goes).

Along with the new platform, we'll be using a new language.  The
options are C++ and Ada95.  I've been arguing for Ada95, and the
people involved in making the decision seem to be persuaded that with
Ada we'd produce better, more efficient, more maintainable code.
There's concern about what kind of mess our Fortran programmers would
make if we handed them C++ to use.

Nevertheless, C++ will be selected for use on all of our simulators
for the next 10 years.

The reasons boil down to: "MicroSoft is behind it" and "everybody is
doing it" and "Ada's a dead language".  More specifically:

"Any improvements in new releases of NT will be immediately accessible
in C++, but we might have to wait a year or so before Aonix has
upgraded the Ada compiler to reflect the changes."

"First it was Alsys, then Thomson, then Aonix.  Seems pretty unstable.
I know MicroSoft will be around in 10 years.  How do I know this
little Ada company will still be around?"

"Countless millions of dollars are being spent to develop tools, class
libraries, etc., for use in NT development.  We won't be able to use
them if we go with Ada.  The Ada market is too small to bother with
for software development tool makers."

"Ada is like Betamax.  It may be technically superior, but it's on its
way out.  Everyone is doing C++, and we'll be passed by if we go with
Ada.  Ada is a dead-end."

"Some of our outside customers will be maintaining the simulator
software themselves.  They've heard how wonderful C++ is.  They won't
want to buy a simulator programmed in Ada."

"We don't want to swim against the stream."

"Everyone's learning C++; no one's learning Ada.  We'll always have an
easier time hiring C++ programmers than Ada programmers -- and they'll
be cheaper too."

"C++ is the native language of the NT platform.  You have to write
device drivers in C++."

"MicroSoft uses C++ for their development.  Don't you think they'd use
Ada instead if it was really that much better?"

Anyone have any good __evidence__ that counters these arguments?  (And
yes, I've been to www.adahome.com, but a lot of the info on commercial
use of Ada appears to be pretty old.)

Thanks,

Mike Bates

--
Pursuant to US Code, Title 47, Chapter 5, Subchapter II, Section 227, any and
all nonsolicited commercial E-mail sent to this address is subject to a

* Re: MicroSoft to purchase Aonix?
@ 1997-05-30  0:00 gilbert prine
From: gilbert prine @ 1997-05-30  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I don't really want to get into any flame wars with Mike D Bates in this
thread, because he probably will never use Ada and I sure wouldn't consider
using C++ rather than Ada in anything I do.

> "MicroSoft uses C++ for their development.  Don't you think they'd use
> Ada instead if it was really that much better?"

However this one point needs to be responded to.  Does Mike remember that
Windows 95 started out to be Windows 93?  Apparently Microsoft can survive
the major slips that C/C++ induces, but I sure can't.  For his sake I hope
he can too. :-(

Gil Prine