From: smize@news.imagin.net (Samuel Mize)
Subject: Re: ObjectAda vs Gnat -- bugs
Date: 1997/05/30
Date: 1997-05-30T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

In article <338C6563.2679@gsfc.nasa.gov>,
Stephen Leake  <Stephen.Leake@gsfc.nasa.gov> wrote:
>Thanks, but where, exactly, do I find the "AARM"? I assume this is the
>"Annotated Ada Reference Manual", but I cannot find it at AdaHome or
>AdaIC. I assume this is NOT the Rationale.

No, it isn't.  It's the Language Reference Manual, with annotations that
tell you what the design team was dr^H^H thinking when they made each
decision.

AdaIC has copies available in PostScript and ASCII text, but you have to
hunt around -- they're under a directory named "95lrm_rat".  The URL is:

  ftp://sw-eng.falls-church.va.us/public/AdaIC/standards/95lrm_rat/v6.0

You want either aarm.ps or aarm.txt.

Either is one big hummer of a file.  The postscript version is  5277 Kb.
The ASCII version is a svelte 2737 Kb.

Note that the example code in the ASCII version can be hard to read.  The
file was apparently run through a text formatter, and many lines of code
were longer than the line length, so you get artifacts like:

     type Whatever is (a, b, c,       <--- line wrap
   d, e);
     subtype     Fred        is       <--- spaces added to justify line
   Whatever range b..c;

Following is a chunk of the README_lrm file from this directory.

: This directory contains version 6.0 of the Ada 95 Reference Manual.
: This version is the same as the International Standard, except for minor
: formatting differences, such as the fact that this version has paragraph
: numbers, whereas the International Standard does not.  All differences
: between this version are listed in the introduction.
:
: The files in ../v6.0.compressed were compressed by the "zip" program.
:
:     aarm.txt -- Annotated Ada 95 Reference Manual, plain Ascii format
:     aarm.ps -- Annotated Ada 95 Reference Manual, postscript
:     chg83.doc -- Changes from Ada 83 to Ada 95, plain Ascii format
:     chg83.ps -- Changes from Ada 83 to Ada 95, postscript
:     rm.txt -- Ada 95 Reference Manual, plain Ascii format
:     rm.ps -- Ada 95 Reference Manual, postscript
:     rm_a4.ps -- Ada 95 Reference Manual, A4 format, postscript
:
:     rmsource.ada -- Source for Language-Defined Library Units
:
: The file rm.doc was split into files with names of the form "rmsplit.a?"
: using the Unix split program.  Each piece is 2200 lines, and less
: than 100kbytes, for ease of transfer.
:
: See README_rat.txt for info on the Ada 95 rationale.

Samuel Mize

--
Samuel Mize -- smize@imagin.net -- Team Ada
(personal net account)