From: okellogg@cube.net (Oliver Kellogg)
Subject: Re: Byte sex confusion
Date: 1997/05/11
Date: 1997-05-11T00:00:00+00:00	[thread overview]

Steven O'Neill wrote:

> A simple solution is to convert everything into a standard
> representation, and have portable conversion routines to and from that
> representation.

> [... proposed solution elided ...]

Or, if you are lucky enough to have both sides of the program under
your control, interface to the network-to-host/host-to-network
functions in the Berkeley-Unix socket library:

	htons() -- network to host short
	ntohs() -- host to network short
	htonl() -- network to host long
	ntohl() -- host to network long

I believe these functions are also included in the forthcoming POSIX
P1003.5c Ada binding standard.

--Oliver