* Challenge / Help
@ 1997-05-06  0:00 Arnold Peterson
From: Arnold Peterson @ 1997-05-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

I can't do this!!! Cany any of you guys???

I'd really appreciate it if somebody could code this for me!

----

The designers of a large house are proposing to build an intelligent
environment controlled by a central computer system. It is envisaged that
the final system will incorporate heating and fire detection.

As part of the design phase of these systems it has been decided to build a
prototype which will simulate both the heating and fire detection systems.
This prototype will implement a real time kernel which will control the
heating system and the fire detection system. The kernel will consist of
two main tasks - a heating task and a fire detection task. The latter will
have a higher priority than the former because it is viewed a critical
task. The actual data is test data provided through a file system as no
actual devices are connected to the system at this stage.

	I have to -
		Build the kernel
		Build a simulator to test it

I can't do this!!!

Thanks in advance.

* Re: Challenge / Help
@ 1997-05-06  0:00 ` Tom Moran
                   ` (2 subsequent siblings)
From: Tom Moran @ 1997-05-06  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> I can't do this!!! Cany any of you guys???
Yes.  What price are you offering?

* Re: Challenge / Help
@ 1997-05-07  0:00 ` The Lone Ranger
From: The Lone Ranger @ 1997-05-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Yeah Try This Arnold,

With Ada.Text_IO;
Use Ada.Text_IO;

Procedure ClockM Is

File	:	File_Type;
x		:	Integer;

-- -----------------------------------------------

	Task	Server Is
		Entry GetData(i : in Out Integer);
	End	Server;

-- -----------------------------------------------

	Task	ClockMachine1;

-- -----------------------------------------------

	Task	Body	Server	Is

	Begin
		Accept GetData(i : In Out Integer) Do
			Create(File,Out_File,"Stephen.Txt");
			Put(Integer'Image(i));
			Put(File,integer'image(i));
		End GetData;
	End	Server;

-- -----------------------------------------------

	Task	Body	ClockMachine1 Is
		i	:	Integer;
	Begin
		i := 0;
		loop
			i := i+1;
			Put("2");
			Server.GetData(i);
		End Loop;
	End	ClockMachine1;

-- -----------------------------------------------

Begin
	null;

End ClockM;

Arnold Peterson <stephen@ers.ie> wrote in article
<01bc5a5d$079820c0$190000c2@Stephen.ers.ie>...
> I can't do this!!! Cany any of you guys???
>
> I'd really appreciate it if somebody could code this for me!
>
> ----
>

> The designers of a large house are proposing to build an intelligent
> environment controlled by a central computer system. It is envisaged that
> the final system will incorporate heating and fire detection.
>
> As part of the design phase of these systems it has been decided to build
> prototype which will simulate both the heating and fire detection
systems.
> This prototype will implement a real time kernel which will control the
> heating system and the fire detection system. The kernel will consist of
> two main tasks - a heating task and a fire detection task. The latter
will
> have a higher priority than the former because it is viewed a critical
> task. The actual data is test data provided through a file system as no
> actual devices are connected to the system at this stage.
>
> 	I have to -
> 		Build the kernel
> 		Build a simulator to test it
>
> I can't do this!!!
>

> Thanks in advance.

* Re: Challenge / Help
@ 1997-05-07  0:00   ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1997-05-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Tom said

<<Yes.  What price are you offering>>

Hmm! if you are going into the business of doing people's homework
assignments for money -- maybe you can get rich!

* Re: Challenge / Help
@ 1997-05-07  0:00 ` Robert Dewar
From: Robert Dewar @ 1997-05-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

Arnold Peterson said

<<The designers of a large house are proposing to build an intelligent
environment controlled by a central computer system. It is envisaged that
the final system will incorporate heating and fire detection.

As part of the design phase of these systems it has been decided to build a
prototype which will simulate both the heating and fire detection systems.
This prototype will implement a real time kernel which will control the
heating system and the fire detection system. The kernel will consist of
two main tasks - a heating task and a fire detection task. The latter will
have a higher priority than the former because it is viewed a critical
task. The actual data is test data provided through a file system as no
actual devices are connected to the system at this stage.>>

That's a clever idea for an assignment, I think I will capture it for
future use. Who is your instructor -- he or she is certainly imaginative.
You should learn a lot working on this assignment *yourself*.

* Re: Challenge / Help
@ 1997-05-07  0:00     ` Tom Moran
From: Tom Moran @ 1997-05-07  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Hmm! if you are going into the business of doing people's homework
> assignments for money -- maybe you can get rich!
  I'm not optimistic, but as they say "A fool and his money are soon
parted."  Note, BTW, that the "Yes" was in response to the question
whether anyone on c.l.a. was capable of doing the assignment.

* Re: Challenge / Help
                   ` (2 preceding siblings ...)
@ 1997-05-08  0:00 ` Michael F Brenner
From: Michael F Brenner @ 1997-05-08  0:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

In a message marked from Arnold Peterson <stephen@ers.ie>
    > I can't do this!!! Can any of you guys???
    > I'd really appreciate it if somebody could code this for me!
    > The designers of a large house are proposing to build an intelligent
    > environment controlled by a central computer system. It is
    > envisaged that the final system will incorporate heating and
    > fire detection.
    >    ... snip ...
    > I have to -
    >           Build the kernel
    >           Build a simulator to test it
    > I can't do this!!!
    > Thanks in advance.

No. And I do not recommend that you do it either. Large houses are not
environmentally gentle, intelligent environments fail, and central
computer systems should be replaced by autonomous networks of PCs
doing cohesive tasks in a modular manner with minimal coupling.
The autonomous networks eliminate the need for prioritization among
tasks, in particular, there is no need for a kernel (other than the
remote-procedure-call controller which is provided), and there is no
need for fire detection to have priority over heating. In addition,
it is not reasonable for a central computer to control heating. This
should be done by individual room thermostats. However, there are
analogous problems in nature in which two processes occur in a pattern
of repetitions, where one process takes priority over others, and
a simulator for these processes would be an interesting project. If
the tasks are almost all scheduled at regular intervals and take a
deterministic amount of time, then there are computer scheduling
algorithms (like RMS) which can help build such a simulator. However,
if the tasks are almost all interrupt driven, then a different
architecture might be better. Representing the tasks as words in a group,
which will be semi-commutative, that is, elements in the same conjugacy
class commute. In your case, there would be two classes: heating tasks,
and fire detection classes. This could be presented as a knot (or braid)
group of two strands. Using this presentation, any braid group animation
program would serve as the kernel. To test it, I recommend the knot
group counterexamples in the software on the Magnus Archive containing
hundreds of group-theoretic software programs at the web site for City
University of New York. Actually, the Magnus Archive contains such a
braid group animator and simulator, along with a random identity braid
generator and a random braid generator, which could carry out this
simulation with no modifications at all. Just download them and compile
them with gcc (after downloading the gnat directories for gcc, such as
EZ2LOAD). They currently have been tested on Sparks and PCs.